How long until I start seeing feeding response from my baby?

Moderator: Mods

nalukaikamahine

How long until I start seeing feeding response from my baby?

Post by nalukaikamahine »

3-4 weeks old, straight out of the nest. Eating, but not nearly as much as I'd like him to.

I'm not getting any kind of feed response from him, I understand that this is a learned behavior [head bobbing etc] but he's not showing any interest in the food, he'd rather put his head under the washcloth than focus on eating.

I also can't get him to hold still on the gram scale :? He wants nothing to do with being weighed.

Any idea how long it's going to take him to connect the idea of: syringe + momma = delicious food ?

Thanks all.
Completely, Utterly & Unconditionally In Love With My Baby Ringneck, Apollo!

nalukaikamahine

Re: How long until I start seeing feeding response from my b

Also, crop pokes out after feeding, teardrop shaped not hard, still a little squishy so I know there's food in there. I'm just concerned that I can't keep him focused long enough to get enough feed in there.

nalukaikamahine

Re: How long until I start seeing feeding response from my b

molossus wrote:Na... hi,
from your description it would appear that that the bird isnt looking foward to feeding. you should get indicators at least in the morning at first feed when the crop is empty.
are you new at this?
is your experience relative?
is the feed the recommended type? not too thick or thin in consistency??
are you feeding with a spoon too? if not why not?
is the temperature of the feed at least body temp? not cold or too hot?
are you following a time regimen?

Yeah, I'm not new to this, but it's been some years since I've handfed...it's all coming back to me know. Had nice open mouth, closed mouth response for breakfast this morning and he ate like a little pig.

I'm just chalking it up to it being a new experience for him, he's never been handfed before so I'm still learning him, and his signals.