Please ID this bird I might buy

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Please ID this bird I might buy

Post by MissK »

Here are two crummy photos of a bird described as "light blue".
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
trabots

Re: Please ID this bird I might buy

Post by trabots »

Blue Pallid
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Hi

Can be a blue pallidino or blue platinumpallid. It is to light for a blue pallid

Tienie
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thank you both. There's a lot of flash in these pictures. I'm hoping he will turn out to have more colour in person. :cry: He's already in his third home, so I'm "looking to like" but I don't think he looks that pretty in these pictures.

-MissK
-MissK
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I also think Blue Pallid- (accounting for the flash)

What's a platinumpallid?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Seems to have a red eye, but very pale. I'd also go with blue pallidino. Unless the flash was REALLY bright.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Miss k,

He looks handsome to me. Sorry i cannot help with the mutation part cause i am not into it at all. But he seems to be a guy with attitude. please confirm if he is hand tamed or else he might give you a tough time.

Subodh
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Platinum is an allele of the SL ino locus situated between pallid and lutino. Just as you can get pallidino (pallid & ino) males you can also get pallidplatinum (pallid & platinum) males.

Will send pics to Madas to post.

Tienie
madas

Post by madas »

pic of Tienie:

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

One day I would really love to see a picture with a lutino, pallid and platinum hen in it. That would really be interesting to illustrate the difference in melanin percentage/concentration. And of course, on the cock side things can get much trickier, with ino, pallid, platinum, PallidIno, PlatinumIno and PlatinumPallid. That is 6 phenotypes divided into the 3-5% and approximately 50% melanin concentration interval. No wonder we get so many different pallid phenotypes.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Since the bird pictured above just looks like a "yellow bird" to me, I would also love to see a mutation line-up.
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
-MissK
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Ok. I will work on your request for a line up, pallid, platinum and lutino and we can add a cinnamon-ino.

Tienie
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Carr.birds wrote:Platinum is an allele of the SL ino locus situated between pallid and lutino. Just as you can get pallidino (pallid & ino) males you can also get pallidplatinum (pallid & platinum) males.

Will send pics to Madas to post.

Tienie
wow- thanks for the picture- how would you go about it to tell the difference?

The Pallidino phenotype is halfway between a Pallid and an Ino- so for a PlatinumPallid are there any visual differences, to distinguish it from a Pallidino?
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Platinum birds are born very close to lutino in phenotype and as they go through each moult they darken a little bit. The Platinum cock posted is a Dark Platinum/turq. When paired to a Dblue in 2012 they produced 2 cocks, 1,0 DDblueturq/platinum and a Dgreen/platinum/blue.

I do however own a bird that I think is a Dblue pallidplatinum, bred from a DDblue pallid & Blue platinum hen. Picture will follow.

In 2012 this Dblue pallidplatinum was paired to a Dgreen/blue and the pair produced 0,1 Dark platinum/blue or Ddark Platinum/blue. Picture will follow.
Visual evidence between Platinum and Pallidino are found in the tail and flight feathers. Pallidino show a phenotype close to Platinum but with some traces of melanin left in the tail and flight feathers.

I don’t own Pallidino anymore but will try to get a Dblue pallidino cock for comparison with the Dblue “pallidplatinum. I do believe it will be difficult to distinguish between the 2 phenotypes, but breeding results from these cocks will be evident.

Tienie
Kiki22

Post by Kiki22 »

So it's definitely not a cinnamon blue? Could be my computer colour settings because that's what it looks like to me lol
Sanzaf1

Post by Sanzaf1 »

hi tinie.......what are the visible differences when identifying a platinum?
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Hi

Visual evidence are found mainly in the tail and flights. Pallid, Pallidino and Pallidplatinum display traces of melanin in the abovementioned areas while Platinum don't.

Tienie
madas

Post by madas »

Carr.birds wrote: I do however own a bird that I think is a Dblue pallidplatinum, bred from a DDblue pallid & Blue platinum hen. Picture will follow.
Pointing to the fact platinum and pallid (resp. SLino) are multi allelic (alleles of the same locus), right?
Carr.birds wrote: Picture will follow.
Still waiting. :D

madas
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Stefan

This cock was bred from a ddblue pallid cock and blue "platinum" hen

Cock

His mother
I have tested the mother with a blue cinnamon to make sure she isn't a blue cinnamon-ino.

dgreen (mother), dgreen platinum or ddgreen platinum baby & dblue pallidplatinum cock

Stefan do you think the baby is dark or ddark and therefore show some melanin in the centre tail feathers?

Tienie
madas

Post by madas »

Hi Tienie,

thx for the pics (per mail too ;) ). Yesterday i haven't enough time for answering.
Hm judging from the pics is hard. Do the main tail feathers of the youngster show any sign of a mauve like phenotype?
If not i would vote for dgreen platinum /blue. If you compare the main tail feathers from the youngster and the father then
you can see that both don't look much different (but could be the pic or my eyes).

But one question which comes to my mind: Are you sure it is a new mutation? Or is there a chance that the 'platinum' blue mother is a so called 'light phase'
pallid? Means pallids are known to get lighter and lighter then breed over ino. So is she out of such a bad pairing?
Are there any other sights which point to a new mutation? What about the pallid wing markings? Completely gone or only a lighter version?
Different eye color?

greetings.

madas
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Stefan

This is a total different line and not related to the dark platinum/turq cock posted. This is the first breeding season with both lines. Unfortunately the pair only produced 1 baby. I don’t know the history of the cock’s mother and therefore more breeding results is necessary next season. The only test was with a blue cinnamon cock to proof if the mother is a blue cinnamon-ino or not. The fact that normal blue cocks were produced indicated that she isn’t a cinnamon-ino.

The dark platinum/turq cock and his dblue hen produced 2 babies, a dgreen/blue/platinum and ddblueturq/platinum cocks. This line has nothing to do with ino as illustrated in the family tree mailed to you previously.

Tienie