UK breeding season? shall i put up my nest boxes?

Moderator: Mods

driver_hr

UK breeding season? shall i put up my nest boxes?

Post by driver_hr »

Hello this question is mainly for the uk members. I am from England and i have two pairs of ringnecks in separate aviaries in my garden.

I was told by someone the breeding season starts in febuary in the UK for ringnecks. Is this correct? As it still seems to be cold here. Just not sure if i should put the nest boxes up yet or not.

Thank you.
driver_hr

Re: UK breeding season? shall i put up my nest boxes?

Post by driver_hr »

Anyone?
madas

Post by madas »

Hi,

i am not from England but from Europe (Germany). We normaly put the nestboxes into the aviaries at the begin to mid Feruary. But i think you can start some weeks earlier because of your island clima.

Greetings.
driver_hr

Post by driver_hr »

I have put my nest boxes up and have pine shavings in each box. Can anyone tell me how many inches deep the pine shavings should be in each nest box?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

About 5cm to 10 cm or 2 to 4 inches deep.

The hen may remove all or some of this and you may need to keep adding more if this happens. She will certainly arrange it to suit herself.

If you find that she has removed too much and starts laying her eggs on the wooden base of the box. I would gently remove the eggs and place some more shavings in the box and compact them down then place the eggs back on the shavings. I generally find once they start laying they wont remove anymore shavings so the eggs should be ok from now on.
driver_hr

Post by driver_hr »

Ok thanks mate. I have four breding pairs, two of them went to investigate the nest boxes straight away and started to kick the shavings around. But the other two pairs which are proven are not taking any interest in the nest box. Is this normal, do they just need time? This is my first time in breeding ringnecks. Thank you
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

hey guys,

i am also from the UK and needed to find out when to breed in the UK?i have added the nestbox this week to the cage.

does the nestbox always need to be at the top of the cage?
Hunty

Post by Hunty »

Im also from uk my nest box is up an there always in out of it thay spend the night sleepin in. It no eggs as of yet tho iv bin told breeding season is from december to feb not sure if this is rite tho
ush2611

Post by ush2611 »

Hi i am a u.k breeder and never put my nest boxes in until feb..i learnt the hardway years ago when i was impatient and put them in early jan, as it was mild, only to then get a very cold spell and lost eggs...feb here in the u.k is the coming to the end of winter so hopefully its when the weather is milder...if its still freezing or snow on the ground or very cold winds...wait...a few weeks wont matter but could make all the difference to a successful breeding season :)
rickyc

Post by rickyc »

I always go by the weather when putting nest boxes up my usual month for putting them up is about mid Feb to early March as English weather can be unpredictable