What a horrible day

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

midnightflight

What a horrible day

Post by midnightflight »

So, I got up this morning and did my usual things like getting my daughter up, having a cup of tea and getting breakfast, when I noticed that my beloved Rookie was not himself.

He was sitting on his perch all puffed up and wobbling a little. Whenever he tried to follow me around the cage it was almost like he was loosing control of his feet...

Long story short and $400 later, fingers crossed he doesn't pass during the night.

The vet doesn't even know whats wrong with him.

Wish me luck guys.
MissK

Re: What a horrible day

Post by MissK »

OH! This is horrible. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both! It's going to be a hard night for sure.

Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I will pray for you both.

Subodh
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

Molassas Hi

The good news is that Rookie made it through the night. He doesn't seem to have got better, or with any luck worse.
what did the vet diagnose or what symptoms is he/she treating?
The vet did full blood work and took xrays. The blood and xrays came back clear, however when she swabbed around his cloaca, there was blood. So far she is treating him for a bacterial infection.
look for symptoms yourself...eg heavy / laboured breathing, wheezing , clogged vent/ nasal passage,twitching .
He was sitting all morning drowsy and puffy, he was napping when it wasn't nap time (around 12pm). He is shivering quite a bit.

His poos seem to be very solid, with not much urine. the vet checked this also and there was no evidence of excess fibre in it.

His breathing is fine, not laboured and even.

No nasel twitching clogged vent or wheezing.

He does seem to be preening alot more that normal and scratching his head. (he is moulting at the moment)

He seems to find it difficuilt to grasp food with his feet
what environtmental exposure has he recently been subject to?
It has been very humid and hot around here lately. I have introduced new wood perches (natural wood) that I made myself. These have stainless steel fittings washers and have been made from woods that are safe for birds. I did clean them with a little (tiny)amount of bleach and water, to make sure they would be fine. I also have a budgie and cockatiel, who have the same perches and are fine.
has the animal been hospitalised in a temperature and germ controlled icu. is it being hydrated/fed?
He hasn't lost his appetite and is drinking fine. He has not been hospitalised yet.

I am desperate for answers. Even as I am typing this he is a fluffed ball and sleeping even though it is morning and play time. I don't think he will be around much longer though
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Keep him warm is all i can say. Also try to get him into the sun if you can, Just for 10 to 15 minutes. The sun rays have done wonders for my birds.

Subodh
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

so

Rookie is being treated for lead poisoning, and he has also been wormed. Poor little mite had a really bad infestation. The vet isn't really sure what could be wrong at this point so she is covering all her bases.

Soon we will be looking at beak and feather disease.

He seems to be getting better, he still sits on his perch dozing and puffed up, he has been shaking as well quite a bit. I'm trying not to be disheartened, but its so hard to see your pet suffer and not be able to do anything.

The funny thing is, Rookie is cantankerous, can be quite nasty and definately has a mind of his own. He does what he wants when he wants, will pin and lunge at the budgie, makes agression displays at the cockatiel and so on.

But I wouldn't be without him, little stinky that he is has wormed his way into my heart.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. I'm sorry you and Rookie are having this experience.

I wish you the best!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Any news on Rookie?
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hopefully, No news is good news i suppose.

Subodh
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

Good News...

Rookie is back to his horrible self lol, it turns out that he did have lead poisoning and so far he has cost us a total of $1000 dollars.

It was totally worth every penny, much to my husbands dismay.

AND it seems I may have a boy!

Thank you guys for all your support in this, it was really heartening to know that others care, even if most of you are miles away. Everything has been happening lately and Rookie was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

You guys are awesome! Thank you!
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Glad to hear Rookie is ok!! Ive been following this thread but had no advice so I didnt post. Rookie is lucky to have someone like you who will pay the money to get him sorted out
Regards Fi
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

You wont believe how many people said to me "its just a bird..." and "You can just get a new one".

The problem with both of these statements is the fact that he is not just any bird, he is Rookie and himself and he is also MY bird. I was so nervous when I got him, worried that I wasn't doing the right things with him, but every day he just keeps on surprising me with these little things that make him unique.

Like how he scratches his head when hes thinking about something, like when he does his little dance to get out, like when he protests if Sweetie (cockateil) is out and not him. How he insists on trying to get the Moustach (Budgie) even though it attacks his feet, and when he drops his bell ball into my hand.

He is mine, and I am (hopefully) his best friend!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Yeah, that........ People can be such dolts. It doesn't bring out the best in me when I talk to folks like that.

-MissK
-MissK
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh those comments always make my blood boil!

Good to hear Rookie is on the mend and you finally found out what the problem is. So hard to diagnose illness or problem with animals since they can't speak our language.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

My heartiest congratulations to you midnight and a lot of love to rookie. I am so happy to hear the good news. You have really made my day or evening (its 7.45 pm here now).

Subodh :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm glad he's all better!

They're just birds... They just don't understand because they haven't had that kind of relationship. Like people who have chickens as pets. To me, chickens are producers of both breakfast and become dinner but to some people they are cherished as we cherish our IRNs. We see this a lot when it comes to livestock. Just depends how you grow up and your perspective. In many places rabbit and even guinea pig are common on the menu (by the way in the USA the demand for rabbit meat far exceeds the supply because of fanatics who release or steal rabbits from meat breeders because it is 'cruel' to eat rabbit and that is why rabbit meat remains expensive even though it should be cheap!). I even meet people who don't like dogs- what can you do? :roll:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

I just think there are people who get it and those who don't get it
-MissK
-MissK