Recessive & Dominate?

Moderator: Mods

bdt9413

Recessive & Dominate?

Post by bdt9413 »

Hello guys, im new to breeding indian ringnecks, so can you guy give me a brake down of what are the recessive mutation? and what happen if you breed it with a non recessive gene, and what mutation are non-recessive? And whats the dominate mutation? like i heard you cant put a lutino and a blue togather for breeding, they wont come out with blue and yellow babies :(

And how can you tell if your IRN is split to somthing else, is it visible or hidden?
sheyd

Re: Recessive & Dominate?

Post by sheyd »

Green's dominant and Blue's recessive so a Lutino cock (green-base) bred to a Blue hen would produce Green split for Blue and Ino in the cocks, and Lutino split for Blue hens.

A Blue cock bred to a Lutino Hen will produce Green split for Blue and Ino cocks, and Green split for Blue in the hens.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

You won't know if a bird is split unless you breed it or if you know what the parents were- but even then that can be a guess with some combinations- best to pair it up and see what it produces.
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

i notice that you mentioned ino. whats that? what does ino mean? :D
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ino (a type of albinism) changes the bird's colour from green to yellow or from blue to white -- so Ino + Green is Lutino and Ino + Blue is Albino
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

so your saying they will be born green but as they muture or molt the "ino" will change the feather colors to lutino? cause how you said "ino" sounds like your talking about a specific mutation, is ino abreviated for albino?
~Im sorry if i sound dumb, i just really want to understand that meaning. :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

no, Lutino's are born Lutino's. There are two bases- Green (dominant) and Blue (recessive)

You can have Ino on either base:
Ino + Green = Lutino (yellow bird) and Ino + Blue = Albino (white bird)

I think 'Ino' is considered a 'type' of Albinism...hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can jump in on that one.
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

ok i understand it now!! yayyyy! :D
But one last question when you said that my offsprings would be "Green split for Blue" what exactly that mean? ill have green IRN's but will carry the blue gene? or like ill have a green IRN thats will have green & blue visablly on them? so i guess what im trying to ask is what do you mean by "Split" thanks :)
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

cause sombody else told me that my babies will be that "all the males will be green split blue ino and all of the females will be lutino split blue" so what you guys are saying is that the female baby irn will be yellow, but will just have the "hidden" blue trait?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

bdt9413 wrote:cause sombody else told me that my babies will be that "all the males will be green split blue ino and all of the females will be lutino split blue" so what you guys are saying is that the female baby irn will be yellow, but will just have the "hidden" blue trait?
That's right :) Any Lutino's from that breeding (Lutino cock x Blue hen) will be female and split for Blue (split- meaning that they carry blue but do not show it) and any males will be Green and split for Ino and Blue.

A standard/normal Green IRN will have blue tail feathers- this is NOT an indication of being split for Blue! (splits are hidden- not expressed)
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

OMG!! thank you soooo!! so now during the next breeding season what do you reecommend i should pair my blur hen up with?
what will i get it

1.blue hen + white cock =?
2.blue hen + Blue Cock =?
3. blue hen + Geen Cock =?
4. Blue hen + Blue cleartail=??

-Would love to know thoes combos! thankso much!! :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

1.blue hen + white cock =? In the cocks you'll get Blue split for Ino and the hens will be Albino
2.blue hen + Blue Cock =? Both Blue cocks and hens
3. blue hen + Geen Cock =? Unless the Green cock is split for blue you'll only get Green cocks and hens- but if he is split for blue you'll get Blues as well.
4. Blue hen + Blue cleartail=?? Blue cocks and hens -both being split to Cleartail
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Try this: http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0PsitIR (green is the default- you don't need to add it :) Here's a great thread on how to use it:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15669
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

ok thanks, So how would you get the cleartail or pallid visual babies?(i think CT and Pallid are the same, *correct me if im wrong, im still learning* lol)

Would Both of the parents need to be slip to CT (cleartail) or be Visual CT?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

no, Pallid and Cleartail are separate mutations- the babies from that (above) pairing would all be split to Cleartail opps- sorry yes, the parents would both need to be split (for Cleartail) or visual Cleartail to get Cleartail bubs (it is a recessive gene and need two copies to be visual)
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

so can i do a non-visuable CT hen, with a visuable CT an will that produce CT babies as well? or 50% blue an the other 50% CT's irn?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

bdt9413
Don't pair up a CT with a Pallid -
For CT you are better off getting a partner of the following:
another CT visual bird
a Split for CT bird
if birds are not available or expensive use:
a stright Cobalt or Violet to the cleartail, this way all birds will be split CT & a violet or Cobalt split CT has a bit of value & sought after.

83IV

bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

Ring0Neck wrote: bdt9413
Don't pair up a CT with a Pallid -
For CT you are better off getting a partner of the following:
another CT visual bird
a Split for CT bird
if birds are not available or expensive use:
a stright Cobalt or Violet to the cleartail, this way all birds will be split CT & a violet or Cobalt split CT has a bit of value & sought after.

83IV

Lol no I wasn't going to pair thoes 2 up the CT and pallid, but what's the difference between the CT & Pallid?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

on this site you should find info you need and pics of the mutations.
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutations/P-krameri.htm

In short Pallid is as name implies, Paler in color, faded.
CT has a darker color.

83IV
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

Ok thanks, so can If ireed a blue slit to CT hen with a CT male and will get all CT babies or 50% blue and 50% CT
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Yes, 50% young will be split CT - the other 50% will be visual CTs. regardless of what color the birds are.
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

Ok thank you sooooooo!!! Much I understand every clearly know!! And the web site is very helpful! Thanks a lot
bdt9413

Post by bdt9413 »

Ooh yea, and do you know which will be the males and the females?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

they would be of either sex.