Olive mutation?

Moderator: Mods

Youngspud

Olive mutation?

Post by Youngspud »

Hi all, I was wondering how to put the olive mutation into the gencalc.
I have a couple of new pairs, one of them is an olive male with a cinnamonblue hen so was interested what the outcome may be an whether or not to change this pair.I am also wondering what distinguishes an olive IRN, as I also have a greygreen buttercup hen that looks rather similar ?
madas

Re: Olive mutation?

Post by madas »

Youngspud wrote:Hi all, I was wondering how to put the olive mutation into the gencalc.
I have a couple of new pairs, one of them is an olive male with a cinnamonblue hen so was interested what the outcome may be an whether or not to change this pair.I am also wondering what distinguishes an olive IRN, as I also have a greygreen buttercup hen that looks rather similar ?
Olive could have to distinct meanings:

first: wrongly used for greygreen (but you said you have a greygreen too, so i think your olive is a true one) then you only have to mark grey (EF or DF). This will result in a greygreen bird

second: used for the true olive which is a double dark factored bird. So you have to mark DF dark.

If the male isn't split for cinnamon i would split of the pair. The current pair will give the following offspring if the male is a true olive:

1.0 DD green x 0.1 blue cinnamon
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 D green /blue cinnamon
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 D green /blue

is the male is split for blue:

1.0 DD green /blue x 0.1 blue cinnamon
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 D blue /cinnamon
50.0% 1.0 D green /blue cinnamon
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 D blue
50.0% 0.1 D green /blue

As you can see no cinnamon offspring only split males. Best would be to pair your olive male with a Violetblue, Violet(DF)blue or VioletCobalt (to be prefered) if he is split for blue.

1.0 DD green /blue x 0.1 D blue violet(sf)
% from all 1.0
12.5% 1.0 D green /blue(T1)
12.5% 1.0 D green violet(sf) /blue(T1)
12.5% 1.0 DD blue
12.5% 1.0 DD blue violet(sf)
12.5% 1.0 D blue
12.5% 1.0 D blue violet(sf)
12.5% 1.0 DD green /blue
12.5% 1.0 DD green violet(sf) /blue
% from all 0.1
12.5% 0.1 D green /blue(T1)
12.5% 0.1 D green violet(sf) /blue(T1)
12.5% 0.1 DD blue
12.5% 0.1 DD blue violet(sf)
12.5% 0.1 D blue
12.5% 0.1 D blue violet(sf)
12.5% 0.1 DD green /blue
12.5% 0.1 DD green violet(sf) /blue

greetings.
Youngspud

Post by Youngspud »

Yeh i think it's just the buttercup effect that's making them look more alike. I was told this information by a very reputable breeder so I believe that it is a true olive. I was told to try and keep them together for another season as they had a very interesting baby last year, I asked to get a photo of it but was told a very firm no as I expected.
My first instinct was to pair the olive with a violet, and I am keen to use the cinnamonblue with an emerald/cinnamon as I want to breed cinnamon emeralds (mint emeralds), they look amazing!

Thanks madas, that'll help me out for future pairings also.
madas

Post by madas »

Youngspud wrote:Yeh i think it's just the buttercup effect that's making them look more alike. I was told this information by a very reputable breeder so I believe that it is a true olive. I was told to try and keep them together for another season as they had a very interesting baby last year, I asked to get a photo of it but was told a very firm no as I expected.
My first instinct was to pair the olive with a violet, and I am keen to use the cinnamonblue with an emerald/cinnamon as I want to breed cinnamon emeralds (mint emeralds), they look amazing!

Thanks madas, that'll help me out for future pairings also.
No problem. Perhaps you can psot some pics of your birds (olive and emerald).

thx in advance.
Youngspud

Post by Youngspud »

When I can get onto the computer I will try and upload some pics, I havnt got the emerald yet but I plan on getting it within the next few months so when I do I shall upload some onto here. I have another query now, I actualy could just keep going on all day as it kinda takes over you haha, I had a chat with the original owner of my IRN and was informed that it isn't split for blue but is infact split for cinnamon and ino, this leads me to my next question which is why it has a single yellow tail feather?