Goodbye Baby the budgie.

A place for us to talk about the loss of a pet, even if not a ringneck. A place to grief and receive information and support from our family. Memorialize your pet by posting a picture and sharing information about your baby.

Moderator: Mods

RaveTomsy

Goodbye Baby the budgie.

Post by RaveTomsy »

Several years ago, while I was working at Petco, I was informed that a budgie had been returned. This budgie's wing had been broken (it was suspected that some rather poor ownership had something to do with this), and the vet that the store worked with was planning on putting the budgie down. I and my mother stepped in to nix that plan, and once the budgie was healthy enough to leave the store (though due to the broken wing, would never properly fly again), we took home this new member of our at-the-time fairly sizeable flock. We were told the budgie was a female. I named her Baby.

Turns out the name was the most misleading and ill-fitting name ever. Baby should've been named Bossy. After a few weeks of being in a smaller cage, she was well enough to introduce to Buddy the budgie, who'd lost his companion Dubbie not too long before that. Baby immediately started chasing him around, climbing all over everything, and claiming ownership of a bell toy (and attacking anyone who got near the bell toy, then putting her face up in the bell and wearing it for a mask/hat). She would continue to terrorize any other budgie that happened to take up residence in that cage, laying down the law, and loudly stating her opinion for several more years.

On the 18th, it was discovered that Baby...was a BOY. This discovery was made by my mother, who walked in on him and his cagemate Whitey (boy am I imaginative with names) doing certain things. It explained quite a bit, including the source of the noisiness that had become common (I thought it was Baby being upset, but really it was Whitey yelling at Baby to stop chasing her around).

Yesterday (as of right now, anyway), Baby passed away. We're thinking he must've fallen off a perch and broken his neck. Several jokes were made about how he spent his last days (chasing Whitey around and doing things). The ornery little budgie with the broken wing who everyone else had given up on had a good life.
Last edited by RaveTomsy on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissK

Re: Goodbye Baby the budgie.

Post by MissK »

RIP Baby.
Best,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
RaveTomsy

Re: Goodbye Baby the budgie.

Post by RaveTomsy »

Baby was the last survivor of the pets I took home from Petco while I worked there. It was him, Larry the budgie (another return, former owners claimed he was aggressive, and that was his name when I got to him), three strawberry finches, two shafttail finches, and quite a few hamsters. So in a way, it's also the end of an era for me.

It's a lot quieter without Baby around. Whitey, for all her yelling at him to get away, has been looking and calling for him. I'm eventually going to find her a friend.