plumheaded parakeet crossbred with an indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Skippatron

plumheaded parakeet crossbred with an indian ringneck

Post by Skippatron »

I have a plumheaded parrot hen (Normal) and a Blue IRN cock.

from their clutch they produced two lutino plumhead sized parrots and one Green plumhead sized.

i am wanting to know if their heads will turn a different colour similar to the hens head.

also what these guys may be worth.

Thanks guys :)
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: plumheaded parakeet crossbred with an indian ringneck

Post by ringneck »

Though I'm not here to pass judgement, I will say that many people believe this is not a good practice. Unfortunately, plum-headed parrots are not as abundant in captivity, so if possible, it would be better to find a male plum headed parakeet. This would ensure future generations could enjoy these spectacular parrots and their bloodlines would be pure. On the other hand, at one time Australia had a short supply of them and I believe they did breed them with Indian Ringnecks. The result was larger plum headed parakeets. Also, many Alexandrine breeders do the same to get mutations. Anyway, that is just food for thought. :D

But I don't know what the babies would be worth. I would place them around $120-$200 a bird. Because they are hybrid, they'd be better as pets than breeders. About the head colors, I believe you'll have to look for mutation charts/ books to find out. :wink:

Post on our genetic section, see what the other members have to say there.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
ellieelectrons

Re: plumheaded parakeet crossbred with an indian ringneck

Post by ellieelectrons »

I honestly wouldn't have thought they would interbreed plummies are so small! I would be worried that the hens resulting from the pairing would be too small for the egss they would produce.

Ellie.