Right on Cue

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

sahhbear

Right on Cue

Post by sahhbear »

I had my cockatiel Sam on my shoulder and my IRN, Rani was sitting on the table with my mum, trying to steal a bite of whatever she was eating if I rememeber correctly. Sam has this terrible habit (god only knows why) of doing a poo whenever you take him out of the cage. He'd been out a while and I thought I was safe... so there we were walking around when to my disgust he did one right down my back I groaned, I mean without going into detail... it was worse than normal and asked my mum to "get it off me, get it off me" and as she came over to help out, from her spot on the table pipes up Rani laughing out loud in the cutest, most insulting birdy version of MY laugh I had ever heard as if she had timed it perfectly and understood just what had happened and found it to be the funniest thing ever!! That was the first time I heard Rani laugh. She now laughs at the most appropriate times. Like when I've told her that no, she needs to stay in her cage- yet she manages to jail break. That's laugh worthy. Throwing the pen across the table- laugh. Biting at the laptop keys... laugh. Everything earns a laugh and it's so cute!
Sarah Xx
Jen&Bug

Re: Right on Cue

Post by Jen&Bug »

That's super-cute Sarah! Laughing was the first sound that Bug (my IRN) learned to imitate, and he also seems to associate it with doing cheeky things, like pushing something off the table or stealing something we're trying to use.

This means that when he does something naughty, my husband and I will often be trying desperately not to laugh, just in case we inadvertently reinforce bad behaviour! It's pretty hard to keep a straight face though, when the evil-doer is going 'nyuk, nyuk, nyuk' in a little birdy voice while he cheerfully shreds the pencil you were doing the crossword with a moment ago.

As for pooping, my sun conure also does a larger-than-normal poop every time we let him out of the cage. I've found it's worth spending a few minutes talking to him through the bars before I open the door, so he can get it out of his system.
sahhbear

Re: Right on Cue

Post by sahhbear »

Oh yeah! I know what you mean. My guy is going through SUCH an evil phase at the moment. I think perhaps he may be about to go through his first big molt right now? He's been extra nippy and screams a lot, shreds absolutely everything and if he nips you and you say "OW" he'll laugh. Which is so difficult not to laugh at, even though you're annoyed the little turd has just bitten you!
Sarah Xx