Getting IRN when its 6 wks or rescuing adult IRN?

Moderator: Mods

CountryGal1031

Getting IRN when its 6 wks or rescuing adult IRN?

Post by CountryGal1031 »

I rescued a 3 yr old green IRN on Halloween and he doesnt trust me I cant touch him or anything but he will come on my arm and sit there for a little while before flying away. But I am getting a baby IRN and want to hand feed it and such. Will I have better luck and a better bonding experience with a baby? I want a loving bird that will let me hold it and cuddle it and kiss it. any help advise and such is welcome thank you :)
willowisp71

Re: Getting IRN when its 6 wks or rescuing adult IRN?

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi CountryGal,

Yes, you will have a much faster and better bonding with the young one, but don't despair of your rescued mature Green....the fact that he will actually sit on your arm, even if for a little while, speaks volumes! I recently rescued a blue mature male, and although he has settled in nicely to the household, and seems extremely happy, we are still unable to touch him or handle him at all. At best he will take sunflower seeds from our fingers, and so long as we don't try to touch him he's happy enough. We too are soon to get a baby IRN to join our family, and our hope is that eventually when Skittles see's us handling the young one, he may lose some of his skittishness toward us.....but even if he doesn't, we will still love him and lavish him with attention.

Just be wary when you first bring your new baby home. Don't house them together for the first month or so, longer if necessary. Introduce them slowly, maybe keep their cages apart for awhile, and always supervise when they are both out of their cages at the same time, just to make sure the older one doesn't react badly and hurt the wee one. And make sure you spend fairly equal amounts of time with your mature one also, so he doesn't feel left out, and get 'jealous'. You will know soon enough if they will get along with each other or not. Not all IRNs will get along, each has it's own personality, and like human's, sometimes they just don't gel :|

What colour is the baby you are getting? We can't wait to bring ours home, once she has been fully weaned by the breeder :D
Regards Deb
CountryGal1031

Post by CountryGal1031 »

I am keeping my 3 yr old though he doesnt like humans to much I still love him and I think he is depressed he came from a place where he was housed with a ton of birds and mates and now he is all alone and he probably didnt have human contact or know what its liked to be loved from his past home. I am hoping when I get this baby he will see me loving it and he will be like "Oh the mama isnt so bad after all she just wants to love me" LOL but who knows how he will act. I want to get a blue one as well! I love the blue IRNs. At least yours will take food from your hand mine will not :/ lol but I am doing this thing now as of today where I take all his food out of his cage and he cant come out of his cage anymore until he takes a piece of food from my hand (im not startving him lol) if he takes a piece he gets a little more in his bowl I want him to trust me and not be afraid of my hand and he needs to know I am the one feeding him and without me he gets no food. This is a trick my bird trainer and breeder said works USUALLY! Lol. So I will see he is being a brat right now. What color of baby are you getting and when? I just put my down payment for one yesterday. :D
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

I'm sure if you keep persisting with, he will eventually lose his timidness with you, and I think it's a great idea you getting him a companion, because, yes, if he's come from an aviary with lots of other birds, then he will be lonely for his own kind. Hopefully for both of us, the addition of a feathered companion for our IRNs will make all the difference :D

Our little one will be a cinnamon grey, aka silver, which I think will be a very pretty colour :) although, it definately looks more striking on the male's with there black and white ring, like the one in the link below (the hen on the right is just a normal grey, for comparison);

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/ ... reyhen.jpg

You'll notice his colour is more a creamy cinnamon grey, more 'warmer', than her bluer grey which is a 'cooler' colour, if that makes sense? :D
Regards Deb