Baby Indian ringneck help

Moderator: Mods

boothy101

Baby Indian ringneck help

Post by boothy101 »

Hi yesterday i bought 2 baby green indian ringnecks they are 5-6 weeks old. the older one today has started biting. is he in the bluffing stage. also is he ready for weaning i have seed and fresh fruit and vegies in the cage. but he only wants the formula. they get fed 3 times a day. will he eventually eat the fruit, vegetables and seed. what do i do when he bites me. do i say no or ignore him.
willowisp71

Re: Baby Indian ringneck help

Post by willowisp71 »

Ok, so just a heads up........my breeder won't release any of her young birds until they are FULLY weaned, ie no longer need the formula....and THAT is when the bird is at least 9-10 weeks old. I'm not sure if some birds can get weaned earlier than that, but at a guess I would say not until they are at LEAST 8 weeks old. At 5-6 weeks old, I would say your birds are nowhere near weaned yet and will still need at least 2 maybe 3 feeds a day.
Although, if the breeder has said that they are eating veg/fruit and cracking seed by themselves prior to you taking your birds home, the change in scenery will put them off for a bit...it can sometimes take up to a week or so for them to settle in to new surroundings. So I would suggest to keep feeding them formula so you know they are getting a decent feed each day, but keep persisting with the seed and fruit/veg.

Some of the more experienced IRN owners might have some better advice also.. Good luck :D
Regards Deb