1 Year old IRN afraid of hands... PLEASE HELP!

Moderator: Mods

Liam & Rio

1 Year old IRN afraid of hands... PLEASE HELP!

Post by Liam & Rio »

Hi guys,

I have a 1 year old Indian Ringneck which is terrified of my hand but is not scared of when I hold a perch in my hand and put it against his chest to get him to jump on it or when I try to pat him with the perch. I really need him to be used to my hand so I can tame him. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: What should I do?

I recently bought him (1 week ago) so he has had a year to create his own habits.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Site Admin

Re: 1 Year old IRN afraid of hands... PLEASE HELP!

Post by ringneck »

Hello,

I am assuming the ringneck has been in a pet shop for about a year and is now being handled. From your question, and from my experience, this seems to be typical ringneck behavior. Ringneck's are neophobic and frighten easy. Their brains are wired this way because they are animals that are preyed upon in the wild by predators. For this reason, your ringneck needs a little longer to adjust to you. He's scared right now and doesn't know what your intentions are.

What you can do is start a positive reinforcement program to help him get to know you and you to get to know him. Then, you can take him into a small bathroom or a quiet room and talk to him in a soothing voice. This should be done over and over and you should gradually work your hands into the equation.

Always use treats as this is the quickest way into any ringneck's heart. Also, browse through the forms as there are many other questions similar to this one. :-)

I hope this helps and welcome to our forum.

Best wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C