Sitting on my shoulder, Good or Bad?

Moderator: Mods

Kenanwright1988

Sitting on my shoulder, Good or Bad?

Post by Kenanwright1988 »

Hi Everyone

I have a 7 week old IRN that I'm hand rearing.I have had her just over a week and she is already super affectionate and loves to be taken out of her cage and cuddled.
I have been reading a lot of articles saying she shouldn't sit on my shoulder cause of hight dominance or she might bite my face etc.
In my case however she seems to love cuddling up to my neck and sleeping, I think she feels really safe there.
So my questions are:
1) Should I stop her from sitting in my neck?
2) How do I train her to not sit on my shoulder/Neck?
3) What age should I begin training her? She already steps up and down and seems to respond to her name.
4) If my current cage doesn't have a grate on the bottom, what's the best substrate in terms of hygiene?

Other then that she seems super happy and I cant wait for her to grow into a happy tame bird :)
She is already eating less and less formula and she eats pellets and fruit(painfully slowly) and drinks water out of her water bowl.
I'm currently on 2 formula feeds per day, is that enough/too much?

Thanks for the help
Kenan
Kenanwright1988

Re: Sitting on my shoulder, Good or Bad?

Wow, nothing?
No one can offer any advice?
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

I allow my birds on my shoulder, arms, hands, head, where ever, and this is because I haven't experience anything negative in doing so. Some people experiencing ear biting or worse, face biting. When this happens you should not have the bird near your face or on your shoulder. But if all goes well and you don't experience any negative behavior, then its probably just fine! My IRN Buddy is a year and a half and has never gone thru a bluffing stage. He went through a stage where he attacked certain toys and screamed at them, but he never directed that toward me or anyone in the family. If your bird goes thru bluffing, I would recommend keeping him off your shoulder during this time ;) Good luck!
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

You can begin training NOW! asap. I started taming training when my guy was 10 weeks old and he's an ANGEL. :)
Kenanwright1988

Awesome!!!

Thanks so much. She already knows step up and step down. I'm gonna try teach her some new tricks like turn around. :)

Thanks for the reply
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Mine's allowed everywhere too, he especially likes to be on my right shoulder, he's not allowed on my head though and he learned when he was 4 months old where he could and could not go.

I've never been bitten by him ever except when we play, and he bites very gently, never a pinch. He's 4 years old now btw.