Silver/cinnamon x sky blue lacewing???

Moderator: Mods

willowisp71

Silver/cinnamon x sky blue lacewing???

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi, just wondering if someone can do this calculation for me, as I'm still new to the GenCalc?
What are the possible outcomes from pairing a silver (grey cinnamon) cock and a sky blue lacewing hen, thanks, (and would you mind showing me how to enter a silver (grey cinnamon) cock into the GenCalc also? Thanks.)

Cheers :)
Last edited by willowisp71 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Deb
rod038

Re: Silver/cinnamon x sky blue lacewing???

Post by rod038 »

http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0PsitIR

Just click on the link and it is all entered for you.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Thanks heaps rod038 :D
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Not sure if this will work, but below is the link :?: to a pic of 2 (of 5) offspring from the silver/cinnamon x sky blue lacewing. The breeder is kindly going to get pics of the dad and mum for me also, haven't got them yet though.

Any thoughts on the colour of the feathers on these 2??

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4713_n.jpg
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Oh, and can I just clarify also.....

If the IRN visually looks grey, do you enter it as VISUALLY grey AND blue? (Or visually grey split to blue?) :?:
And if it's a grey green, you just check the grey button for visual?? :?:

Or have I misinterpreted somewhere along the line?? :?

It's just that previously when I've been playing around with colours, if I only check the grey button, the calculation tells me the bird is a grey green, which I took to being an olive looking bird (that isn't classed as olive, but grey green).....like the one posted below -

Grey Green?

Thanks for your help :D
Regards Deb
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

Yes, for a visual grey bird, you click on grey and visual blue. For the grey green like in the pic, you just click on grey. You had it right :)
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Awesome!! Thanks Carmen! :D Yay, it's finally making a bit more sense :lol:
Regards Deb
asifsuun

Post by asifsuun »

What a amazing post,
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Willowisp, its good to see you are learning how to use the gencalc, I will get onto my next lesson soon, been abit busy with work, and currently on night duty so didn't have chance to come online for a while.

Just like to make one correction if you don't mind, you said that the cock bird is

Silver/cinnamon?

Silver is a grey cinnamon, so its not possible to have a grey cinnamon split for cinnamon as its already visually a grey cinnamon. Hope this helps

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Lushen,
Thanks for the clarification :) I had originally written it as silver/cinnamon as that is how the breeder had quoted it, but then realized exactly what you just said :D Forgot to amend it :oops:

Another query in relation to this pair, if you don't mind ( or anyone else for that matter) putting your opinion forward - I have since found out this pair have out of the five chicks, produced a blue pallid chick with a white head ....... Is this normal for a blue pallid???
The other chicks were 2 x silver cinnamon and 2 x cinnamon blue, all hens according to the GenCalc. But also according to GenCalc, there weren't supposed to be any visual pallid's - only cocks split to pallid? Is that correct? And if so, what do you make of this one chick bring a white headed blue pallid?? Is there something else at play here, that the breeder is unaware of?

Keen to hear your thoughts, and anyone else's. Thanks! :D
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Oh, and I mid wrote it again!!

2 x grey cinnamon chicks (silver) :lol:
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Grrrr! MIS-wrote!
Regards Deb
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Willowisp, no stress as I also have typing errors in my posts, and the best way to correct them is once you have posted and realised you made a mistake, click the edit button on the bottom of your post and that will allow you to make the correction and repost.

Ok first you mentioned that the cock bird is a silver which is a grey cinnamon and secondly you mentioned that the hen is a skyblue pallid.

Skyblue is actually what we refer to as blue cinnamon here in south africa, so the skyblue pallid is actually a blue cinnamon pallid, so the grey cinnamon and blue cinnamon chicks can be either male or female and would have to be surgically/DNA sexed to check for their gender. Here is the result from that mating to show you what I mean

1.0 grey(sf) blue cinnamon
x 0.1 blue pallid cinnamon
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue cinnamon /pallid
50.0% 1.0 blue cinnamon /pallid
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue cinnamon
50.0% 0.1 blue cinnamon

If you mention that the breeder has bred a blue pallid from this lot, then it means that the silver cock bird is split pallid and will be a grey cinnamon/pallid, so with the new information from the chicks produced here is the new calculation of what the pair is capable of producing

1.0 grey(sf) blue cinnamon /pallid
x 0.1 blue pallid cinnamon
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue cinnamon /pallid
25.0% 1.0 blue cinnamon /pallid
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) blue pallid cinnamon
25.0% 1.0 blue pallid cinnamon
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue cinnamon
25.0% 0.1 blue cinnamon
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) blue pallid cinnamon
25.0% 0.1 blue pallid cinnamon

So the blue pallid chick is actually a blue cinnamon pallid and can also either be male or female. Pallid in noted for making the feathers on the head lighter and in blue series birds it makes the head white and on green series birds make the head yellow. So as you can see once you get chicks from a pair its quite easy to work backwards to figure out the genetics with gencalc.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Lushen,

Thanks so much for that, although I now have the dilemma of not knowing whether the grey cinn chicks are cocks or hens, and I was SO hoping they were hens :( Was going to get the breeder to DNA test the one we were buying anyway, but now I'm not so confident it's a she! I knew, as soon as she said what colour the fifth chick was, it was going to completely change the parameters! Oh well, at least I can let the breeder know what mutation the parents and the chicks are for her future reference. And I'll just have to hope that the chick I have my heart set on is a hen :|

Thanks again for your help! I'll let you know what the outcome is :D
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Ok, so we have decided to throw caution to the wind, and have put a deposit down on the remaining grey cinnamon chick. We met with the breeder on the weekend, and also got to meet (what I am stubbornly going to call :lol: ) our wee little GIRL, lol.
We got there just as the little one's were about to be fed, so got lots of cuddles after she had her feed....she was so snuggly :D

This is a pic the breeder took about a week ago;

And these are a couple that we took on Saturday 27 Oct 2012 (taken with iPhone so not great quality):

PS: Lushen - the breeder told us Saturday that the fifth chick seems to be looking a more uniformed blue colour now as it's feathers develop, so perhaps the cock bird isn't split pallid after all? Time will tell - we have asked for a DNA test anyway, but I think it might be too late for me even if she does turn out to be a 'he"........I'm already sooo in LOVE!! And lets face it, we aren't going to be in a position to breed for another 2 to 2.5 years yet anyway, so if it does turn out that she's a he, we'll just have to get to mature hens in a couple of years when we are set up for it proper :) :D :lol:
Regards Deb