Enrichment By Budgie?

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Enrichment By Budgie?

Post by MissK »

Clear thinkers, please, give me your opinions!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elphi

Re: Enrichment By Budgie?

Post by Elphi »

Hi Missk!!

How long have your budgies been in your house?
Think they are now in a new house, with new people... and a IRN!! I think it will take them nearly a week (or maybe two) to get used to their new environment and to you.
I think its a good idea to have a pair of budgies to make company when you are out. I dont think they are scared from Rocky... is the environment in general.
I have a couple of budgies and a cockatiel with my IRNs (each one in their cages)... and they sing together every morning... no problem.
So... what i would do with Rocky and with the two others will be: continue with ROcky doing the same, playing and training him... and with the budgies, keep them and dont worry if you cant tame them, they are two and have enough company between them... I'm sure Rocky will enjoy watching them play while waiting to play with you.

But... it's only my opinión
Psittacula krameri (Scopoli, 1769)... Incluida en el Catálogo Español de Especies Exóticas Invasoras.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Elphi, thank you.

I've had the budgies now four days.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi MissK,

I think Elphi might be on the right track, they may just need a couple of weeks to settle into their new environment, and get used to all the different smells, noises, and of course the rest of the 'family'. The fact that you can get them to perch on your finger is fantastic news! We have had Skittles, our IRN, for only 2 and a half weeks now. He is "second-hand" - we actually found him in the shopping centre carpark and managed to capture him and bring him safely home. Unable to find his previous owners, we have decided to keep him. For the first 5 days, Skittles was also terrified of us! But he eventually settled down somewhat, and although we have realised he may never be hand-tame with us, he has certainly adapted quite nicely to his surroundings. He now has free run of the house when we are home, hops in and out of his cage when he wants, chatters away happily, usually to himself, but sometimes to us also......quite frankly, he rules the house now :? probably not a situation that is conducive to get him hand-tamed, but I think we have resigned ourselves to the fact that probably won't happen. Still, he gives us much joy, watching his antics and hearing him babble on to himself :lol:

I hope you have some luck with your new additions, I know how heartbreaking it can be when you think you are causing such stress and terror to the poor things :(

Let us know how you get on.
Regards Deb
Elphi

Post by Elphi »

MissK wrote: I didn't mean to; I didn't want to, but I named them. Sugar and Spice. I think we can all see where this is going.
So sweet :wink:

I imagine you spying your little kids :lol: :lol: (ok, I think most of us have done the same at least once :roll: )

Just another thing, MissK. Do you know (more or less) budgies' age? Sometimes untameds budgies become more quiet with the age, limiting their crazy hours to dawn and evening, and they show no interest in toys (specially if they've never had them)
I agree with willowisp71, the fact that you can get them to perch on your finger is fantastic news, it sounds you're in the right way.
Perhaps one day you will show us your pics playing with Rocky, Sugar and Spice... the whole family together.

:wink:
Psittacula krameri (Scopoli, 1769)... Incluida en el Catálogo Español de Especies Exóticas Invasoras.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Elphi,

Sugar and Spice (and it gets worse -- they're BOYS) are about a year old or so.
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Another beautiful day.

-MissK
-MissK