Nest box materials

Moderator: Mods

Channelle

Nest box materials

Post by Channelle »

I have recently put some breeding boxes in my ringnecks aviary for the first time but am unsure of what nesting materials to put in the boxes I read that pine shaving are what most ppl use but when i went to buy some from my local pet shop I was told that the dust from the shavings can cause respiratory problems in small animals, and that i should use shredded paper. is this true? has anyone had any problems using pine shavings
thanks guys
leanneb37

Re: Nest box materials

Post by leanneb37 »

hi im only very new to all this so i went down to my local bird fodder shop and asked them and they gave me some nesting material in a bag that actually looked similar to potting mix i put that in their breeding box and my female laid 4 eggs, 1 disappeared but the others hatched and i now have 4 day old babies which look very healthy :)
Channelle

Post by Channelle »

oh ok do you know what the stuff is called they ppl at my local pets shop i don't think they reallly knew what they were talking about. congrads on your babies am hoping i get some too in the next few months :)
rod038

Post by rod038 »

You dont want to use shredded news paper. Pine shavings are fine as long as they are from untreated timber. You could mix them half and half with peat moss. Pour water over the mixture and then grab handfulls and sqeeze out the excess water. Pack in into the base of the box about 5 to 8cm deep. The Hen will arrange it how she wants it or may remove some or all of it. Keep adding more if she removes it. Once she starts laying her eggs check to see that she has laid them on a layer of the matierial and not on the base of the box. If the eggs are right on the base lift them up and pack some more matierial in the box. Make a slight indentation and replace the eggs. She shouldnt move the matierial again.
Last edited by rod038 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yatish M

Post by Yatish M »

Hi there,I have been breeding ringnecks for a few years and found that pine shaving work the best for me .I belive that the nesting material that you said looks like fertilizer is called "peat moss" it is made up of decomposed plant matter .It does work well ,I personally use it for my eclectus parrots .Ringnecks do breed very well and should breed fine ,I highly recomend the pine shavings because I have never had a problem with it ,but I cannot advise you on the peat moss as I haven't used it for Ringnecks.

I hope you have much success with your birds.Best of luck

Yatish M :)
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

hey guys,

i am also from the UK and needed to find out when to breed in the UK?i have added the nestbox this week to the cage.

does the nestbox always need to be at the top of the cage?
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

In addition to pine shavings and peat moss you can also you Soil Conditioner. Like Peat Moss is is decaying material more similar to what you would find inside a tree hollow. Fine grains, the birds are unable to throw it out of the box as easy and you can put in shavings above it too if you like. Mid way through the incubation you don't want to look and find all the shavings are gone and the temperatures are down into freezing :(
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!