biting help please

Moderator: Mods

tracymulder

biting help please

Post by tracymulder »

Hello, i have an 8 month old female IRN that is now finally taking things from my hand but now she is starting to have less interest in taking stuff and more about attacking my hands, she is still fearful of my hand, i have never been able to touch her or have her step up, she follows me around the room on top of her cage and constantly wants my attention which i am able to give her.
However i thought once i was able to actually get her take things from my hand it was going to progress in a positive way instead of her seeming cocky and now getting nippy. I am trying to teach her what soft beaking and hard beaking is but not much luck so far. I know she is craving touch and wants to be closer how can i break through this barrier.
TomAndGene

Re: biting help please

Post by TomAndGene »

I found that clenching my fist and presenting the back of my hand to my bird reduced biting and nipping, He/she will try to attack you - find nothing to grab - then give up, If you repeat this over and over and hold your hand right in your birds face until it gives up and relaxes again it should reduce it's fear of your hand, Worked for me, I can pat and tickle my bird gene now :).

(Still a rookie at bird keeping, Experienced keepers info should be taken over mine!)
Shujack

Re: biting help please

Post by Shujack »

Hi Dear i m having a same problem
Got my irn about two weeks ago and its takes food from my hand but scared to sit but intead bite when tried ...all i do is to give her or him a peanut treat he loves it and so while i showed him a peenut he jump on my wrist not on finger and go all the way to shoulder but when i gave him
His peenut he flies back to the cage to avoid me . Apart frm that wount let me touch him
At all not on head and get aggresive when i do try to touch so its kind of worries me but i hve got a faith that one day he will.... So try the peanuts treat and dnt gv it till it sits on ur wrist not the fingers or hand. :mrgreen:
Reagrds
Shuj