proud hubby moment

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

proud hubby moment

Post by ellieelectrons »

I was in the kitchen with Janey on my hand. Hubby was in there too when all of a sudden Janey chirped and flew at my hubby. Hubby put his hand out so that she would land on his finger instead of flinging herself on to his body. She sat there for half a second and then started biting his thumb.... really, really hard... he had quite a wound! Poor guy!

He responded pretty well compared to other times things like this have happened and we worked together to stop the situation.

Later, I went to discuss with him to find out if he wanted to get her wings clipped. I suggested a 3 strike policy. He, however, said he realised what brought on the behaviour. He opened a cupboard door that she has taken a nesting interest in. I honestly didn't remember that and I had no idea what had triggered the behaviour. I guess for her, this was her defending her potential nest.

She isn't the easiest bird to get along with at the moment... although at times she can be a the sweetest bird ever... but I was really proud that my husband identified what had prompted her behaviour... and for now we can work on not using that cupboard when she's out and about... and I don't think he wants her wings clipped either.

That incident has convinced me more than ever that birds always bite for a reason. It's not just because they're "mean" birds - although admittedly some birds are more likely to bite harder than others. It's just that their brains are wired so differently to ours that things that don't seem like a big deal to us can be a big deal for them.... so learning about bird behaviour is probably one of the best things we can do as companion parrot owners.

Ellie.
sanjays mummi

Re: proud hubby moment

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hi Ellie, hubby & I spent a very enjoyable time yesterday watching you interact with janey and charlie on Youtube. It stands to reason that your hubby is as understanding of janey as you are.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks Sanjay's Mummi. That is very kind.

Although I went and spent some time yesterday with someone else's birds yesterday and I've realised I treat them a little too much like children! I might have to work on that.

Ellie.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hi Ellie, funny you should say that. We were on the bus home today when an acquaintance showed us a snap of her pooch, I reciprocated by showing her Sanjays mugshot which I have on my phone. Well, after asking his name and age she said "aww, I bet you baby him do'nt you?", we just burst out laughing, Sanjay definitely would'nt take to "babying", as far as he is concerned he is "well hard".
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Ohhhh the things i might look forward to hey Ellie?

My lil birdie has been amazingly happy and cuddly this week! Not sure if it's a co-incidence that i got her a new big cage on sunday morning or not, but she's been super chilled and happy all this week!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

mattcoffs wrote:Ohhhh the things i might look forward to hey Ellie?
Perhaps... all birds are individual so you may not have any problems at all! But at least if you do, you'll be prepared!
mattcoffs wrote:My lil birdie has been amazingly happy and cuddly this week! Not sure if it's a co-incidence that i got her a new big cage on sunday morning or not, but she's been super chilled and happy all this week!
Nice to hear :) Did you buy it online or from a store?

Ellie.