Alexandrine Troubles

Moderator: Mods

jubleberry

Alexandrine Troubles

Post by jubleberry »

I bought my alexandrine parrot about 3 weeks ago, he was about 5 months when i bought him.

He's very attached to his cage, everytime i try and take him away from the cage, he always flies off me and attemts to fly back to his cage, since he can't fly well he crash lands on the floor and i don't want him to get hurt. Also every time i try to pat him he bites.

How do i make my parrot more attached to me rather than his cage?
myrka2004

Re: Alexandrine Troubles

Post by myrka2004 »

jubleberry wrote:I bought my alexandrine parrot about 3 weeks ago, he was about 5 months when i bought him.

He's very attached to his cage, everytime i try and take him away from the cage, he always flies off me and attemts to fly back to his cage, since he can't fly well he crash lands on the floor and i don't want him to get hurt. Also every time i try to pat him he bites.

How do i make my parrot more attached to me rather than his cage?
I do clip my parrots wings to be more tame....and I do to my Alex baby when he fully fly one week....
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Clipping wings can help although you don't have to clip your birds wings if you don't want to.

You get your bird to like spending time with you by getting to associate good things with being with you. I would start with getting him to accept treats from your hand. There are a number of threads on here talking about how to tame a bird. Try searching for them... but I will try to find some myself and post them if I get time.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
juliejay

Post by juliejay »

I wish I could get mine back to there cage, it took me 3 hours too catch them lastnight lol... guess im no bird whisperer lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

lol. I have trained ours to "go to bed" although it doesn't always work. I have received two special treats as rewards for going to bed: bananas and muesli bar. It usually works.

This is an old video of them doing it: http://youtu.be/yBIuDWdKgx4
It is a little deceiving as it does look like they do it every time.

Today, Janey was particularly impressive. Because of her infatuation with nesting in our laundry, I've had to move their out of cage time to a spare room in our house. I've set up their gym and T-perch in there. After we'd finished with our play-time, I was taking her and Charlie back to the cage. Half way back, Janey had flown onto the curtains we have that lead to the laundry... and she was trying to make her way in there. First I tried the muesli bar but that didn't work, then I grabbed a banana... she was on my hand in an instant.... I didn't give her any, I just pointed at her cage and off she flew and put herself to bed. Charlie followed.... I shut the door and gave them their banana. That's the first time she's flown to the cage to put herself to bed on command before!

Ellie.
juliejay

Post by juliejay »

geeeeeze u r the best trainer , hopefully it rubs off on me lol... ok guna try that next lol...I think my ringnecks have me around there little feet lol... love your videos on utub wow Im going to watch them over and over lol one day ill post mine ahhhhhhh one day hehehehehe

love keep trying Julie :roll:

Dee Why
Sydney
Aussie
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for your kind words. I have my fair share of problems with my two so please don't be thinking I've got it all together! I do enjoy training them though and they enjoy learning too. There re things that I can't get them to do yet that I'd really like them to do such as harness training.

Ellie.