hand feeding ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

tony34

hand feeding ringnecks

Post by tony34 »

hi again,
i just joined yesterday so hello again and thanks for the reply in mutations,
i have been reading ringnecks make great pets if hand fed,would you guys reccomend hand feeding as my babies will be going as pets,i hand rear greys,senegals,cockatiels,amazons,green cheeked conures etc with no probs.

are ringnecks just the same or can they have any issues etc other birds dont?
do they nip in general i mean(like green cheekeds) as i know they are all different also what age is best for removal,i remove cockatiels at 14 days but bigger birds around 3-4 weeks..

so again any help and info would be great
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: hand feeding ringnecks

Post by ringneck »

Hello Tony,

I have hand fed babies from the egg or will sometimes pull the babies when the oldest one is about 15 days old. Ringnecks can be nippy and go through a biting stage known as bluffing. I think the challenge with most ringnecks is that a great deal of owners aren't prepared for ringnecks in general. Many owners find it hard to deal with the "bluffing" stage and resort to punishment and sadly the bird pays. Once this biting stage passes, most ringnecks almost never bites. So, to answer your question, ringnecks can be nippy but it all comes down to how the bird is socialized and cared for. If the bird is kept inside a cage and minimally interacted with, then it will most likely bite :)

Also, i tend to prefer the female ringnecks over the males. IMO, they tend to build strong bonds w/ their owners. The only downside about owning a female is that they are very jealous creatures and can become nippy towards others they perceive as an intruder to their relationship.

I have two females and one male and they hardly ever bite:)

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C