How to determine age

Moderator: Mods

Yoda_bird

How to determine age

Post by Yoda_bird »

We adopted a male Alexandrine parrot from a parrot rescue organisation. He's a WONDERFUL bird, very affectionate, and quite likes to cuddle and snuggle.
We're just wondering how old he is. Is there any way to tell?

Is there anyone on this forum who is a true "guru" with Alexandrines, or maybe a long-time, multiple bird owner or breeder, who can help us determine his age?

We love our bird, regardless of his age.
Molossus2

Re: How to determine age

Post by Molossus2 »

I started keeping birds since the mid 60's when my dad brought home racing pigeons. I got my first pair of Alex in 1984. I have currently about 35 pairs of alexandrines of breeding age. When you find that guru...please let me have his contact info...man,those guys are really hard to find. My dear friend if your bird has his adult plumage then it's not possible to determine his age. A vet can examine his organs internally and determine his health and breeding status but not his age. What is important for you to remember is..if you care for him then you will be rewarded with a relationship that transcends time...ps post a pic of him.
Yoda_bird

Post by Yoda_bird »

Thank you for your response. We're taking good care of our bird, so we're hoping he'll be with us for a LONG time to come.

That's amazing that you have that many Alexandrines! Are they all pets?

I'm attaching a picture of our parrot. He's definitely a member of our family :)

Edit: Sorry - it says "the board attachment quota has been reached." :(
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Yoda hi,
I'm sure he will be with you a while. I always have been interested in colour mutations since the first blue budgie emerged into the world. I moved from budgie to ringneck to alexandrine mutations. I breed the color mutations available in pure alexandrines. Where do you live?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yoda_bird wrote:I'm attaching a picture of our parrot. He's definitely a member of our family :)

Edit: Sorry - it says "the board attachment quota has been reached." :(
Hi Yoda

You won't be able to post pics or links until you've reached the minimum number of posts to get these permissions (I think it's 15). This was done because we were getting rather bad picture and link spam to the board.

When you are able to, the easiest way to share pictures is to put them on a photo sharing site (such as photobucket or picasa or flickr) and link or embed them to your post that way.

Ellie.
Yoda_bird

Post by Yoda_bird »

Thanks for the response re: photo uploading.

I'm located in Canada, though I used to be in South Africa. I got my first bird (a budgie) when I was five years old, and my second one when I was eight. My first lovebird arrived at our house as a stray, wanting to get into the budgie cage. My dad caught the lovebird, and I became a lovebird person from then on.
I was devastated when we found that Canada did not allow foreign birds (or, at least birds from South Africa) at that time into the country, so I had to leave my bird-babies with friends.
It took me years and years to get another bird. I acquired another lovebird in 2010, and another one in 2011, so I have two lovebirds. My husband decided to get a bird, too, and got the Alexandrine.

All three our current birds are adopted from the bird sanctuary. They're all wonderful little friends!
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Too bad about import restrictions. I am in Durban so if are here you're welcome to visit us.