Need urgent help

Moderator: Mods

riteshb2

Need urgent help

Post by riteshb2 »

Hello,
I just got an Alex Parrot 2 days back. He is constantly making some sound (shrieking) and when he sees us he lowers his head and moves it up and down for a long time. I have kept ample of seeds and veggies/fruits in the cage. When i get him out with the help of a stick, he wants to bite my finger. I gave him my finger once but he bit it too hard. He bit my 7 year old son too very hard. Today he seems to be a bit quiet since the time i gave him soft boiled pulses (grams) which he was being fed by the pet shop owner. Is all ok with him? The pet shop fellow said that he is around 10 months old.
Molossus2

Re: Need urgent help

Post by Molossus2 »

Firstly you are a stranger to him. He isin strange turf.his behavior is completely understandable.
Give him time to settle and you will b surprised at his change. Change hisdietgradually.this will help him get over the new environment.
riteshb2

Post by riteshb2 »

Molossus2 wrote:Firstly you are a stranger to him. He isin strange turf.his behavior is completely understandable.
Give him time to settle and you will b surprised at his change. Change hisdietgradually.this will help him get over the new environment.
Thank you so much. His tail feather seems to be coming out. What do i do? Do i soak the seeds and give or he can eat it raw?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

If the pulses are dried then you can boil them. Add corn sunflower peas and sorghum to the pulses and boil some.you can do a pot and freeze, to thaw and feed daily. The Alex will eat any season fruit. Guava mango litchi grape apple etc. No avocados as this is toxic for birds.
The bird could've lost his tail incidentally and this will grow quickly.
Good luck.
riteshb2

Post by riteshb2 »

Molossus2 wrote:If the pulses are dried then you can boil them. Add corn sunflower peas and sorghum to the pulses and boil some.you can do a pot and freeze, to thaw and feed daily. The Alex will eat any season fruit. Guava mango litchi grape apple etc. No avocados as this is toxic for birds.
The bird could've lost his tail incidentally and this will grow quickly.
Good luck.
Thank you so much. I boiled some pulses and thanks to you, he has been quiet since then. So probably all this screaming was because of food. Is this screaming called as "Squacking".

Now last thing. I am planning to keep the parrot in the office. There are many people who would talk to him. They come at 9 am and leave by 5 pm. So will it be ok to keep the parrot alone from 5 pm to 9 am Mon to Thu. Fri evening i will get it back home. Will the bird be able to handle the change in environment every week. I mean 5 full days at office and 2 at home? Please help.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

I am not sure but I do not think that it will a problem. As long as he gets attention daily ie feed,water and company he will be fine. You must observe his condition and pretty soon you will sense his moods. The bobbing and screeching is his feeding call. He has been handfed so that's understandable. He will settle down and surprise you with his intelligence. Good luck.
riteshb2

Post by riteshb2 »

Molossus2 wrote:I am not sure but I do not think that it will a problem. As long as he gets attention daily ie feed,water and company he will be fine. You must observe his condition and pretty soon you will sense his moods. The bobbing and screeching is his feeding call. He has been handfed so that's understandable. He will settle down and surprise you with his intelligence. Good luck.
Thanks Friend. You have been of great help. I shall try keeping him in office alone. We will be able to give him company from 9 am to 5 pm. Rest of the time, he'll be alone. I hope he will be fine. Do you recommend getting a cockateil as a company for him or any other bird?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

As long as you are with him 7 days a week there's no need for another bird to accompany him. This can hinder his taming and delay his bonding with you. He will be fine alone if he is taken good care of.