Hybrid Breed --- cant breed further -- experience sharing ..

Moderator: Mods

tuffey

Hybrid Breed --- cant breed further -- experience sharing ..

Post by tuffey »

Hi Members

I am a real Parrot lover and I have been trying over the years to have a hybrid generation of different kind of parrots.
What I did in last few years, that I tried to mate an Alexandrian male with Indian Ringnecked female. Finally it was successful and I got few chicks.
Now, they are grown as well and ready to breed. When I tried to breed the male chicks (of hybrid breed) with their same hybrid females, it has been failed and is failing horribly. The reason is still unknown to me. Even though this hybrid females chick (the eldest is 4years old now) and are in proper heat.
Now, please kindly share your experience, that if there is a problem of sterilize as it exists in Mules or in my procedure of doing it, someone has successfully done this experiment before? But my procedure is working for all other hybrid experiments.
Now i am trying to have a reverse breed, just to check if it works or not. But it would be handy, if someone has this experience already.
Would love to receive feedbacks.

Tuffey
madas

Re: Hybrid Breed --- cant breed further -- experience sharin

Post by madas »

Hybridisation isn't a good idea and shouldn't be done due to the trouble you experienced.
If you really, really wan't to go on in breeding this hybrids then you have to breed your first hybrid offspring to new unrelated (regarding the parents) alexandrines. And the offspring of these pairs to another unrelated alexandrines. But what you can't do is breeding hybrid to hybrid (means siblings).

madas
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Why hybridise the alexandrine with the ringneck anyway? Both breeds are uniquely beautiful. It is not good for the species. What will you do with the offspring? Some of these birds end up with newbies who cannot see the difference and can be put off? Preservation of pure species in captivity becomes compromised through hybrids being released into the hobby. I suggest you not pursue this as it has ramifications.
tuffey

Post by tuffey »

Well, thanks for your suggestions.
But it is trying to get more experience about their races and having a better offsprings (better means with respect to the good features of Alexandrianz and Ringneck both).
So, my initial target has been successful, that i was able to get what i wanted, but later on it went unsuccessful. Mating them with Albino, Pastel blue give such lovely and attractive color outcomes.
& Madas -- what kind of proof you have that WHY i cant mate hybrid with hybrid?? Do u have some experience in it or it is just your assumption??
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

When you say better offspring then you should not hybridise because you will never get better offspring. When you say new colors then you can are not alone in this as a lot of breeders of hybrid color Indian ring-necked alexandrines are out there. I always wondered what they did with hybrid hens that do not carry mutation genes? Good luck in your pursuit.