Teaching the 'Up' Command for Finger training

Moderator: Mods

Sweetedge

Teaching the 'Up' Command for Finger training

Post by Sweetedge »

Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on training a bird to use your finger as a perch. Sullie has done really well in the 8 months we've had him and he's now at a stage where he's no longer scared of hands and allows me to put my finger right up to him, and also he will freely fly to my finger.

Currently, when he flies to my finger or I put my finger to his feet, I think he thinks i'm offering it as food lol I have been in his room with him this morning, and he will fly straight over to my finger and then wrap his beak around it - not in a malicious angry way, just in a 'Oooo looks tasty' way lol

He landed on my finger a few times, and I have said 'No' when he has gone to chew it, and when he doesn't I have given him a treat. Is this the correct way around this? I feel like we're so close with him now and i'm so excited to get him finger tamed so I can take him round the house with me - but I was just wondering if there's a better way of training this or whether I'm even doing this part correctly?

Any advice, as always, will be gratefully received :)

Thanks guys

Trace & Sullie xxx
dylan

Re: Teaching the 'Up' Command for Finger training

Post by dylan »

when i first got my female she refused to go on my finger but a friend of mine showed me a trick. when you put your finger out put it right up to the birds body right where the legs come out and gently rub up and down. the bird will usually have a natural reaction to step onto your finger. as for staying there it takes time for the bird to get comfortable staying on your finger but ringnecks don't usually like hanging around on fingers.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Putting their beak around a finger is also a way to test whether it's safe to use as a perch...

To teach your bird to step up, I recommend using positive reinforcement. One way to start would be by showing your bird the treat but having it just out of their reach so that they have to step onto your hand to get it. If your bird shows any fear responses to stepping up to your hand, you can give them the reward for looking as though they are going to step up or putting one foot on the finger... it can take a while to develop the trust for them to step up.

It sounds like you are already doing well though... so best wishes!

Ellie.
Sweetedge

Post by Sweetedge »

Thanks for your replies :) I'll keep at it - I'm really proud of him for coming this far x

Trace & Sullie xxx
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

my bird have no problem standing on the palm of my hand but just for apples , if there isnt food he wont stand on my finger or palm , it is really frustrating , atm i can stroke his head and body but i dont think he is building any kind of bond with me , how do u make the bird stand on ur hand or finger without food incentive ???
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Keep doing the rewards... eventually they'll like to be with you too. Having said that my birds don't step up 100% of the time.... only when they want to but it's not because they don't like me it's just because they'd rather be doing something else at that point in time.

Do you do any trick training? That serves to build a bond to. Turnaround is a good first trick to learn.

Ellie.
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Man i must've got lucky because my bird has never had any issues stepping up to my finger! I don't need to say anything to him, i just present my finger and he'll step onto it - or if he's being a little crabby i might have to lift up slightly and touch under his tummy and he'll step up.

Only time he doesn't step up is sometimes when he knows he's going back to his cage or he's in trouble for nipping he'll get down behind my back where i can't reach him! I just slowly lay down on the couch so that he's forced to get back to my shoulder :)

Like others have said, i've been lucky but positive re-enforcement works! I've taught my bird to turn around, shake, be comfortable hanging upside down off my finger(with me flipping my hand over, but i'm working on getting him to do it himself) and i'm working on getting him comfortable with me touching and extending his wings - to make observation and clipping easier!

It's just a matter of small steps forward. When you present your finger, treat him. Do this for a couple of days, then treat him when he touches your finger etc etc. All while saying the command (if you wish, i haven't worried about saying "up")