9 month old IRN is terrified of me, don't know what to do!

Moderator: Mods

CeCe.

9 month old IRN is terrified of me, don't know what to do!

Post by CeCe. »

I've had my blue IRN for about 4 months now, and I did have him at the stage where he was eating out of my hand but wouldn't let me touch him. Then I moved house about a month ago so there was a few days where I wasn't able to pay him much attention, and now he seems to have completely forgotten that he used to eat out of my hand? Will he become more aggressive as he matures? I prefer training aggressive birds, they're easier to train. He's so ridiculously cute & I don't want to give him away but I feel like he must be lonely with no one to interact with. I'll keep trying, I guess it'll take a lot of time. Does anyone have any little tips or tricks to get birds to trust you? He won't even step up, he's terrfied of my hand, but not my face for some reason. I can press my face right up to the bars and he not too worried.
ellieelectrons

Re: 9 month old IRN is terrified of me, don't know what to d

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi CeCe

I'm from Queensland too! Whereabouts are you?

To retain tameness, your bird needs your time... short amounts of time are better than nothing (say 3 mins here and there).

The move combined would definitely have unsettled him.

As they mature their personalities will definitely change but there is always something you can do to improve your relationship with your bird.

Keep trying. Look for really little steps of progress and celebrate those.

Ellie.
CeCe.

Re: 9 month old IRN is terrified of me, don't know what to d

Post by CeCe. »

Thanks for the reassurance Ellie :) he took a grape out of my hand today! Very excited, can't wait till I can finally teach him step up. I guess I'll just have to be patient.