Introduction

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

revathy88

Introduction

Post by revathy88 »

I am Revathy parthiban residing at Chennai, these are the pics of my pet Indian ring necked named appu 2 years old, he passed away this feb 16th morning 11:30 am due to avian illness(parrot fever) i tried my level best to save his life but unfortunately he left us, miss him so much! i am here to keep his memories alive! and interested in knowing more about this certain breed so that could help someone in future to avoid that happened to appu, shortly let me post some useful details and information in grooming and disease prevention and cures for ringneck parrots so that other members would gain out of it :)
ellieelectrons

Re: Introduction

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Revathy

I'm so sorry to hear about appu. We look forward to hearing what you have to say about diseases prevention and cures.

Unfortunately because of problems this board has had with some rather bad spam, you can't post pictures or links until you've posted a certain number of times (I think it's 15).

Ellie.
revathy88

Post by revathy88 »

Thank you Mr.ELLIE,

The most common avian illness that affects a parrot of this kind is Psittacosis(knows as parrot fever), this disease is even difficult to diagnose, I confirmed the reason behind appu's death was parrot fever when i happen to notice clear mucous foul smelling fluid started ejaculation via his beak soon after his death, there are many reasons that causes this parrot fever but for appu it was poor diet and unclean water, I adopted Appu a year back from his previous owners, the reason i adopted him was i found he was not fed with food and clean water, he starved many a times as far as i witnessed, he never had water and food in his bowls whenever i visited him, his previous owners were not much caring about him since they brought him free of cost, i decided to rescue him from their hands due to the bad time he had there! most often he would have waste papers and paper along with his feces which is unhygienic and bad for a bird's health, I advised them many a times to provide him with reasonable quality food and fresh water, but they never bothered,they even kept Appu on an very ugly and unhygienic cage! so i paid them certain bugs and bought him a new cage and provided him what he was not offered for the past days! my family and myself used to spend a lot of time with him, when he was with his previous owners he behaved very unfriendly with humans, he used to dilate his pupil whenever he find's a human near his cage and used to bite hard with his beak against the cage but once we fed him with good food, fresh water and cage, he started to build trust slowly towards us, once when i was cleaning his cage he caught hold of my wrist to climb on my hand, he started to sit on my hand after a great dilemma, then everyone of our family member started to handle appu inside a closed room with fans and other electrical and electronic goods switched off whenever we found time, he spent a very lovable time with us, he loves to sit on my lap, he used to speak very clearly and legibly whenever he is happy! he speaks audibly in Tamil! he use to call me AKKA(means sister) in Tamil whenever he needs me near him, but we never expected the he would leave us so soon, suddenly he stopped speaking with us for a week, dint take his food properly, we checked him with our vet, providing him with prescribed medicines, my vet even gave us expectation that he would recover completely in a weeks time! but unfortunately all of the sudden with no sign he passed away on 16th Feb 2012 morning 11:30am on our observation! i really miss his speech and him so much! He was such a cute and a feathered friend of mine! i still hope he would come back to me in any other form soon! always praying his soul should rest in peace! LOVE him so much and miss him a lot!!!
revathy88

Post by revathy88 »

we have also buried him on our backyard garden and have built a cemetery above to offer him flowers for his death anniversary following years, may sound crazy, but we never felt he was a bird he was bonded nearly as one of our family members! should have adopted Appu a year before from the hell where he lived so that he would have survived by now with us happily! was my bad luck! but would quote for sure that he lived a very happy part of his life, and spent his happiest days with us from the moment he arrived here!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sorry for your loss.

My avian vet tests for Psittacosis every year. I believe it's the number one killer disease.

Ellie.