And baby makes three...

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

Sixty Fiver

And baby makes three...

Post by Sixty Fiver »

I adopted my Ringnecks in October... Lucce is a gregarious and fun loving 5 year old Lutino male while Amore is a slightly more reserved 9 year old female.

They have yet to make any babies but this is because no-one has been ready to deal with a clutch of babies yet... despite that they are very close to each other and love their humans.

I volunteer at a pet shop and tonight I brought home a new baby... a nearly one year old Senegal parrot named Talouse that I have been working with for nearly 5 months who tolerates most people well but loves and trusts me more than anything. Perhaps it was because I was the first person she accepted and allowed to give her scritches and from there it has just been love love love and she has never bitten me.

She is a very gentle bird and she will give me a hard grab when she wants to go back to her cage or objects to something we are doing although she has replaced much of this with her version of saying "no".

Senegals give nibbles when they like you which should not be confused with aggression but they should know there are limits to this too.

I was talking to the manager about buying her and she was off calling about getting me a better volunteer price and during this a guy walks in, asks how much she was, and said... "I can afford that, I will come back and take her next week."

All this despite him admitting that he knew nothing about Senegals and that Talouse was trying to separate his finger from his hand when he was poking her.

So the price was arranged (I would have paid more) and Talouse came to her forever home tonight and was nothing but happy chirps, clucks, purrs, and kisses... I think that she knows she is home and after a tour of the house (she is a curious and confident bird), and a bunch of scritches she had a quick meeting with Lucce and Amore. Lucce tried to schmooze her while Amore was her usual standoffish self (although curious) and Talouse was indifferent to the goofy yellow boy.

The new girl is sleeping soundly with her beak tucked between her shoulders and seems completely un-fazed with her new surroundings but then... her favourite guy has his desk five feet away from her cage so she probably feels pretty safe.

Our new baby... taken at the shop.

She likes hanging upside down and thought this was a good way to check out the new cage... :)

Talouse adopted my second cage as Amore and Lucce have a huge Macaw cage and will be shopping for a slightly larger cage, or may build one as I have the capacity and ability to do custom brazing work and could build a custom cage for less than it cost to purchase one.

With that, the smaller cage (which gives a little Senegal lots of room) will go back to being my day cage and common area for the birds to hang out.
ellieelectrons

Re: And baby makes three...

Post by ellieelectrons »

I am pleased the manager of the store had the best interests of the bird at heart. I was worried about you and Talouse if anyone came to buy her. I'm sure she'll be really happy! Congratulations.

Ellie.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

ellieelectrons wrote:I am pleased the manager of the store had the best interests of the bird at heart. I was worried about you and Talouse if anyone came to buy her. I'm sure she'll be really happy! Congratulations.

Ellie.
You re so sweet...

It is a little after 8 am here and I just got up to find Toulouse was up and looking out the window at the morning sun... now she she is snuggled up against my neck making happy Sennie sounds and giving me nibbles as I have my coffee.

Lucce is up and is says "hello" and "pretty girl"... Bijoux the Shih Tzu came to see Talouse (she is very bird friendly) and she seemed pretty un-flappable in the face of a little dog who was sitting and waving her paws at her.

Bijoux often lies on the arm of the couch and Lucce talks to her and plays peek a boo and sometimes they both sit on the back of the couch and look out the picture window.

I wonder what Talouse is thinking... now she is off to explore the table and is making happy clicks... she is pretty fearless but as she has never lived in a home she will have to be supervised pretty closely as everything goes in her mouth.

She has her wings clipped so could leave the day perch if she wanted to or thought she had to come and find me. :)
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

Talouse is settling in very nicely... seems really content and is telling me that it is cuddle time.