New Indian ringneck Help with training please

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

kelly394

New Indian ringneck Help with training please

Post by kelly394 »

[quote][/quote]Hi i think i should start from the beginning to give a clear picture and hopefully someone can HELP me.
I just baught a Indian ringneck (female) i got her from a lady whom was advertising her online. I went to collect
her and knew that i was letting myself in for a tough ride . She was living with other birds had no desire to communicate with human at all. She has been out of cage transferred with a net both into cage and out by previous
owner .Currently if i go too near the cage the bird Will move as far away as possible if i put my hand in the cage she starts flapping about. I been and baught her some toys ect as there was not much in the cage.
Now i need help lol besides people telling me i made a huge mistake please help.
Im not expecting miracles i am in this for the long ride i would like to get her somewhat tame .THanks x
Timmy

Re: New Indian ringneck Help with training please

Post by Timmy »

+1 bump i does also need to know
ellieelectrons

Re: New Indian ringneck Help with training please

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi and welcome to the forum

You can always improve your relationship to your bird no matter how wild your bird is.

Firstly, set you bird up somewhere that they can observe you going about your daily routines without them being the centre of attention. This will allow them to get to know you and what you do and see that you're not too scary.

Secondly, find out what your bird's fav treats are. You can do this by giving them a bowl full of different foods and see which ones he/she goes for first. Withdraw fav treats from regular diet and start offering them through the cage bars as a reward. Don't shove it in your bird's face, just offer it so that your bird has to come to you. It will take some time but eventually it will start to edge closer to you. To start with, you might just offer it and wait 10-20 seconds and if he/she doesn't show any more interest, put it in your bird's food container - make sure he sees you do it, so he associates the treat with you. As time goes on, expect a little bit more... only put it in the food container after it takes a step towards you or looks in your direction, etc.

Once you've got your comfortably bird eating treats from your hand, then you can start trying to do step up training either onto a piece of dowel or your hand... but I think that will be a while off for you. When you get to this stage it is also good if you have an out of cage training area for you and your bird - a T-stand or a training gym.

I would also recommend you slowly introduce your bird to foraging. Here are a couple of links to get you started:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 01&p=69400
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=13466
http://www.parrotenrichment.com/ - this site has some free ebooks to download

Ellie.