taming problem

Moderator: Mods

jazzmyringneck

taming problem

Post by jazzmyringneck »

i had my ringneck for a month and he still scared of me he doesnt let me touch him he just freaks out and when i surrounder him with my hands he simply steps up and jumps away i really need proffessional advice any help? :(
taywer321

Re: taming problem

Post by taywer321 »

Owning a bird is not all about being able to pet and snuggle them. I own an amazing indian ringneck that still does not like being petted. Although occasionally when he sees me pet my conure he will come over out of curiosity and put his head under my head, as if asking to be petted. He will let me touch his head just briefly before turning and running away. Step up is a VERY important skill to train, and if you're constantly scaring your bird by trying to touch or pet it when it does not want you to, he will be too afraid of your hand to successfully learn to step up comfortably. Try to resist petting for a while, as learning step up is more important right now. Slowly and patiently allow your bird to step onto your finger. From there, just use the "ladder climb" method, alternating fingers for him to step up onto, while asking him to "step up". Eventually your bird will get comfortable with this and will step up for you from any surface without you even having to ask. My bird lifts his foot as soon as he sees my finger coming toward him to step up on. These things take time and patience but try to celebrate the small steps toward him being where you'd like him to be :-D
jazzmyringneck

Post by jazzmyringneck »

WOW youv got a great bird there thank you for your advices so much but could you plz tell me how to pet him :D
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

jazzmyringneck wrote:WOW youv got a great bird there thank you for your advices so much but could you plz tell me how to pet him :D
My IRNs were 5 and 9 when they came to me and had never been petted so both were head shy, flighty, and sometimes would try to bite although both are usually quite gentle.

Have been working on getting them more comfortable with closer contact and use their daily misting as an opportunity to gently wrap them in a towel which lets them stay warm and they allow me to rub their heads and give scritches... my female lets me rub her back and head when she is getting misted and seems to like this even more than the boy. I have been able to cradle her from the floor since she had her wings clipped... before that she would run or fly away and now comes to me for a pick up.

Yesterday the boy was flying laps and came down low and when I walked over he did not fly up and instead of asking him to step up, cradled him gently in both my hands and since he did not mind this, gave him a good 5 minutes worth of scritches which he seemed to love.

They have been here six months and the towel time has been going on for about 6 weeks... their response was good from the outset and lets them make a positive association with the towel.
Pattu Rani

Post by Pattu Rani »

How do I get my IRN boy to step up to begin with? He completely avoids fingers except if I am jingling his favorite whiffle ball(he will beak my finger gently) or we give him food. He will step up to a wooden perch(unless he's being really stubborn, the perch usually comes out when we are trying to get him to go back in his cage) but runs away if he sees fingers. He is almost 2 years old and we have had him since he was 3 months old. His wings are clipped.
joejo85

Post by joejo85 »

Where a glove & let him bite & hold him while giving him treats do this for a few days then he should step up & stay :)