Photo Request

Moderator: Mods

Rueae

Photo Request

Post by Rueae »

I'd love to see your cinnamons!
I'm looking especially for turquoise cinnamons, but a cinnamon thread in general is great. :)

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
McmillanBirds

Re: Photo Request

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Rueae :)

I am fairly new to the forum and I can't post pics or links for pics as it "looks to spamy for new user and I must remove off-site URL's." I have a turquoise blue cinnamon and a golden cherry(which is also in the cinnamon series). If you would like me to send pics please pm me your e-mail address and I can send them to you. I know this is a couple of months after you posted the message but I can send if you still want them.

Regards
Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

Lets see if this works finally. Here is the link for the pics of my cinnamon blue turquoise female and goldencherry male. The pictures aren't perfect as they were taken with my phone, but I hope it works :)

Carmen

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/McmillanBirds/
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Carmen

Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful birds!

I have a question for you about your aviary. I don't have an aviary but may get one some day for our two guys to visit during the day. I was wondering about the wire on your aviary. It looks like chicken wire (at least that's what we call it here). Is that what you use? It's just that when I was a teenager I had an aviary and kept peachfaced lovebirds in it and I was told to get way heavier duty wire than chicken wire because they would chew through it. IRNs are much bigger than lovebirds so I thought you might need even heavier duty wire again. So, can you tell me if it is indeed chicken wire and do you have any problems with them chewing it?

Ellie.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Ellie :)

Yes, some of my aviaries are done with chicken wire(bird mesh), others are done with welded mesh, thats the thicker wire. Some of my aviaries where made a good couple of years ago and the chicken mesh is quite a bit thicker than the stuff I bought recently. My older aviaries wire doesnt look any the worse for wear whereas my newer ones wire is rusting already, although it is meant to be galvanised.

Most of my birds don't chew the wire, I put toys and guava branches in to keep them occupied(even though they are breeding birds), I would hate to be confined without things to keep me busy.

I have only ever had problems with 2 sets of birds, my senegals, they escaped 3 times by chewing through the wire and i eventually got a welded mesh suspended aviary for them(they hated going on the floor). Then Cody, my 1 albino female, excellent mom to her babies but a royal pain in my side sometimes. She had been handreared by the people who had her before me and then put out to breed, I bought her as a breeding pair with a blue male, she has no fear for humans and when its breeding season I have my work cut out for me when I need to feed her, I have to wear a hooded jacket and she climbs on you and attacks you full on :lol: woe anyone who takes her babies when the time comes for handrearing, its quite a dance between her and I. She chews the wire, she wants to get at the birds in the aviary next door to her because it is only in the top corner where she can see them. I have covered that side so she can't see them anymore and there have been no new holes.

My suggestion is have a look and see what quality the chicken wire is, if it bends and stretches too easily you know it is terrible quality, if its thicker and holds form it should be ok. If you are still unsure stick with the welded mesh. It is a stronger wire and would probably last a lot longer with less maintenance required.

I am sure Janey and Charlie would love it :D

Regards
Carmen
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks Carmen for your detailed answer.

I don't envy you having to deal with Cody!

We're not looking at building/purchasing an aviary any time soon as we would need to move house first. Our current block of land is on the side of a mountain and there are no flat surfaces on which to place an aviary!

It's so slopey that one day when Janey was a baby I wanted to take her in the car with me. Her wings were clipped so I thought taking her outside would be okay. Well, opening the car door freaked her out and off she flew... the land was sloping downhill so as she flew with her clipped wings the ground was falling away beneath her... My husband sprinted down the hill (never seen him move so fast) and she landed in one of the lower branches of a tree (which is probably at the same altitude as where she launched from) at the bottom of our block. Thankfully, crisis averted, she was more than happy to step up for my hubby when he came to her rescue.... I have never taken her outside not in a cage since!

Thanks for the info. I'll store it in my memory banks until we decide to move on it one day.

Ellie.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Sounds like you stay in a beautiful place Ellie, with the mountains and that. All I have is millions of trees around :)

Our ground is extremely uneven too, what i have done is put bricks on the inside and outside of the edge of the ground aviaries, so on the off chance they get past the first brick they have to contend with another. I have never had that problem though. 1 or 2 females dig in the sand, but never out, and strangely just when breeding season comes around :lol:

The birds do fly with their wings clipped, inside and outside are 2 different things for them, I am sure the air currents help them on their way.

Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just trying this quickly to see if embedding works

Yay it does!!!!!! :D