Is it cruel

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

gogga

Is it cruel

Post by gogga »

Hey my IRN just turned two, i believe its a girl cause she has a faint light green ring around her neck, she's a only bird and i believe she's happy, awhile back a breeder told me its cruel to keep just one bird and not to let them breed. Is it cruel of me to keep her alone ?
Sixty Fiver

Re: Is it cruel

Post by Sixty Fiver »

Parrots, and many other birds, are very social creatures and with parrots the choice to keep just one means that you have to become their partner and flock mate and provide them with the attention and interaction they would get otherwise.

This can be challenging.

Some birds do not seem to mind a more solitary existence and once bonded to their human may reject other birds but I think that ideally, it is easier in some respects to keep a well bonded pair and one does not have to breed them and same sex birds can get along quite well if they are brought up together.

Sometimes different species make good companions as long as they are of the same temperament... the babies I work with at the pet shop often get along very well with each other and although they are caged separately will call to each other.

I have seen some birds like Caiques, who have a reputation for inter species aggression to cozy right up to Budgies who have this talent for escaping and climbing over to see the brightly coloured parrot.

We have a young Cockatiel and a baby Plum Headed Parakeet at the shop who are both very gentle who seem to be quite warm and receptive to each other's company... a Cockatiel would probably be a poor companion for any larger or more aggressive bird due to their rather meek nature and lack of defensive capabilities.

I get more grief from Budgies who have a lot more bite in them. :)

One issue with keeping a pair is that they might bond far more with each other or one will bond more strongly as my female does to my male who is much more playful and gregarious as well as the guy who grooms her and feeds her whenever she asks.

I need to spend a lot more time with my female (who is 9) to work on bonding and she is getting better and better and when she is with me for some one on one time her mate will call to her because he too is very protective of her.

If something happened to one of them I might be dealing with some serious grief issues from them as well as everyone here who loves them so very much.
julie

Post by julie »

no its not cruel but if you want another bird by all means get one. There is no guarantee that the two birds will like eachother either then you will have that problem.
solobaby

Post by solobaby »

i got a green cheek conure about a year after my ringenck and everyone told me they would hate each other but guess what they are inlove with each other and even share a cage