do indian ring necks enjoy millet??

Moderator: Mods

joel1234

do indian ring necks enjoy millet??

Post by joel1234 »

hey, just a quick question that i was curious about.

i am unsure wether or not indian ring necks enjoy or should even eat millet. i know that smaller birds like budgies and cockateils love it, but im not sure about IRNs??
thanks joel.
lutino

Re: do indian ring necks enjoy millet??

Post by lutino »

Hi

Yes, mine eats it, but make sure its a treat. I think i gave Jasper millet too often and now shes not as keen on it. Also, i assume its like regular seed-high in fat but low in nutrition, so it should probably be a treat anyway :)

Sarah
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

I use millet as a regular component of seed mix for my birds. Even the alexandrines feed on this diet. Not sure about millet having high fat content though. I know that it is a starch-carbo rich seed. The birds thrive on a varied diet and millet can be a good additive for irns.
OrdeWingate

Post by OrdeWingate »

My experience is that IRNs are quite fond of millet. I buy it by the bag and spread a good portion daily on a table in my backyard for the wild IRNs and other birds in my area. They visit early morning (7:30) and again about 4PM each day en masse and go through whatever I have left out. At times upwards of 30-40 males, females and babies will alight and share a meal. Joining them, without any cross breed difficulties, are bubuls, brown babblers and common Minah birds. The noise of the crunching husks is amazing.

Another thing I’ve found they enjoy is multi grain bread. One of the flock has became rather friendly and will land on my shoulder to take a piece of the bread from my hand, or will simply drop by if I am working in the yard and go about the chores with me. Of course it’s the bread that’s the draw. Beautiful and fascinating species.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I give my guys millet sprays - sometimes traditional millet & other times French millet. They love it as a treat.

Also, when I used to feed them seed, I used to give them budgie mix which I think is mostly millet. Now I feed them pellets, not seed (as well as fruit & veg)

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Orde - that's so cool. Where in the world are you that you have wild ringies? I'm surprised a wild bird will land on your shoulder.

Ellie.
MystikNZ

Post by MystikNZ »

My ringneck baby loooves millet tho it only gets it every few weeks.
Steph & "Ash" - Nelson, New Zealand
joejo85

Post by joejo85 »

joel1234 wrote:hey, just a quick question that i was curious about.

i am unsure wether or not Indian ring necks enjoy or should even eat millet. i know that smaller birds like budgies and cockateils love it, but im not sure about IRNs??
thanks joel.
Yes, my IRN loves it I always keep a bag of millet's in the house for him, All birds love millet