hahahahaha that is soooooo cute!!!! love it..... :D :D :D :D
joejo85

Re: Janey does 360s & other tricks

Post by joejo85 »

@ellieelectrons your birds are gorgeous & very well behaved
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks joejo. Don't be deceived, they are only well behaved when they want to be! I have problems with consistency - even with something like stepping up. Does anyone else have these problems? They Know how, they know what you want, but don't do it consistently?

Ellie.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Ellie,

I loved watching these videos! Your two ringnecks are so neat! I love how you interact with them and your love and devotion is so obvious! I tell you one thing, those ringnecks are lucky to have one wonderful mom who loves them! Bravo! I had such a wonderful smile on my face watching your two little monsters do tricks!

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thank you Imran. You are very kind.

Ellie.
sippy11

Post by sippy11 »

I was just wonding what you use as a treat to train them soo well :) they are soo amazing
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Sippy

I use a variety of things. At the moment we're using sunflower seeds but I have used granulated nuts in the past. Mostly, though, they just love doing tricks. I reserve some high value treats for some of the behaviours they least like to do such as stepping up when they are somewhere they shouldn't be and going into their cage. The high value treats can be pieces of almond, pieces of human-grade peanut or other human foods like a bit of a potato chip, a small bit of bread, a bit of a muesli bar, or a bit of banana.

I also never force them to do tricks when they don't want to do them. Generally, though, they love "training" time and I don't think it's just about the rewards. I think they like my attention and the challenge of getting our brains to understand each other. I also don't push them beyond when they want to train... although quite often they outlast me in willingness to do tricks and training.

Also, foraging and removing treats from their diet has a big reason to do with why they are so interested in doing tricks with me - it's is the easiest way to get the food they most like.

Ellie.
sippy11

Post by sippy11 »

Thanks for that :) we are just starting to train our ring neck and sshe comeing along well :)