breeders in south east qld?

Moderator: Mods

daynemh

breeders in south east qld?

Post by daynemh »

I understand the previous page has a similar thread, but I don't think they where looking for what I am.

I'm chasing an IRN
I am located on the gold coast but will drive as far as brisbane or south to byron bay.
I would prefer it to have been hand raised and used to being handled.
I'm easy with colours.

Please someone help me out, even if u know of someone.

Text Dayne on 0450 172 858
Or message me here
TaraJ

Re: breeders in south east qld?

Post by TaraJ »

Hi Dayne...there is a site called www.gumtree.com.au and there are quite a few available in south east qld....hope this helps you :)
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Dayne

We got our first from here:
http://www.mypamperedparrots.com/ringnecks.htm

It is in Gympie but worth considering.

Our second came from a local pet store that unfortunately shut down. The owner has a pair of Lutino ringnecks that produce offspring that are consistently very good-natured & easy to get along with. If his pair are still reproducing I would recommend getting one. I don't know how to contact the owner now that the store is gone but I noticed there is an email address for him here that may still work.
http://www.birdsnways.com/mowen/

Both breeders hand raise.

Ellie.
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

Thanks so much for the help guys.
I really appreciate forums with helpfull people.

Thanks again
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

No probs and hope it helps you to find your future baby ringneck :D
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

Yep sure did.
Picked up a beautifull 9 week old yellow IRN.
He/she is quite happy to sit on my lap while i watch tv, so long as i'm scratching his/her head ahha, once the scratching stops, its out of there.

Should i wait a while before clipping wings? i think its going to make it alot easier for both of us if she cant just fly away whenever.

I'll get some pics and do the whole introduction thing soon.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Where did you get it from?

The usual advice is to wait until your bird is able to land well before clipping them. I'm thinking 9 weeks would be about the time you could consider it???

Ellie.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Hey congrats on your new baby...Is about the same age as mine...Mine can fly really well as i have found :lol: ..... can fly up,down hover lol and as i have been chatting to Ellie about he can still fly after getting him clipped yesterday...Need a couple more feathers clipped im thinking
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

I found the add on Gumtree.com
It was the only one for sale locally that was still at the age i wanted.
Nice guy and had some awsome Macaws and African Greys breeding too (wish i had 2 grand)

Taraj: ahha yea this little one is quite the flyer, after reading alot of info on training them, im a little worried on my previous ways of removing him from the cage. I usually just reach in and pick him up (as he/she doesnt yet jump onto my finger). He is great once out of the cage, as i said.... Will sit on my lap or shoulder now, and is pretty happy not to want to fly off (encouraged with treats and scratches ofcoarse).

Should i abandon this way of removing him from his cage like that? should i take a step back and start gaining trust within the cage before i move onto handling outside of the cage?
Everything that i read indicates that i should be gaining his trust enough that he will want to come to me as i open his cage.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Hey there Dayne i dont want to tell you the wrong thing because im not very experienced in this at all.....I was lucky with my fella as he already was stepping up when i got him....although he does bite sometimes when i get him to step up....does yours protest when you are picking him up to get him out of the cage? by treating him once he is out of cage is also showing him it is a good thing to come out....will he step onto your finger if you out your finger near his chest? i would definately be trying to teach him to step up tho so that way he learns it sooner rather than later.....and i hope someone will also step in and say if i have told you anything that is not correct as im still learning myself..Just spend as much time with your baby as you can ...congrats once again your baby and i hope to see some pics of your baby soon.....Feel free to chat with me anytime you like....im always checking the site so im never too far away :lol:
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

Ive begun teaching him the step up routine and he is picking it up quite well.
He does a little bit of a struggle when i first pick him up, this is what worries me most, as i dont want to freak him out.
he never bites or anything, just wiggles.
Ive been trying to find a treat that he likes that i can use with training but he doesnt seem too interested. what do you find works well with yours?
Ive tried apple, mango, and pears. Only thing he loves is sunflower seeds, but i dont like giving him sunflower seeds.

I had a scally breasted lorikeet and a kakariki a few years ago which i got while still spoon feeding, i think that made it alot easier for them to tame up as they got used to sitting on my hand as they where being fed.

Thanks for the help
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Mine loves grained bread,so im using that as a treat for training so far....as food im using pellets and little bit of seed every so often...and orange sweet potato and pumpkin and apple and grapes...i just keep alternating so he doesnt get bored with it all....im going to try him on brocoli soon also....so far there hasnt really been much he doesnt like..just keep trying your guy on new things and if at first he doesnt like it dont give up as he will probably like it eventually..i started mine training today to do the turn around trick and so far he is going really well....have only done it twice so far but he seems to be picking up the concept...they are so cute and i just cant get enough of my guy hey :lol:
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

haha yea they are beautifull birds. Its amazing to see their personalities.
I dont know what i was worried about, i cut off some very ripe pear and eased my hand into his cage. He loved the pear and jumped onto my hand to get a better angle to eat it haha. I think the breeder may have spent a bit of time with him.

the turn around thing? Sorry but i cant say i know it. Please explain :D

And i like the idea of grainy bread, Thanks.
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

Have you posted any pictures of yours up here on the site yet? id love to see.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Hi there Dayne.....The turn around thing is where you ask them to spin around and they do(well eventually anyway) just a little trick..There are a few posts on here explaining how to techthem.But its something that doesnt require you to touch the bird at all,only to put them on a t stand or something,.....They have awesome personalities hey...Im so glad your little fella is starting to settle in....takes time hey...i have only had mine for 2weeks and i dont even think he has settled in completely.....yep i have some pics posted on here in the photo section...Tiki is his name...i need to take some more actually
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Here is a link to a bit about the turn around trick http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... und#p68244
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

there are so many articles out there on tricks for parrots....do a google search or even on you tube...there is so much info to be had :D
daynemh

Post by daynemh »

I've been so busy that i've forgotten to get some pictures on here. I'll start a new thread in the images folder now. take a look :)
IndysGrace

Post by IndysGrace »

Hi All!

I just wanted to further comment on ellieelectrons suggestion on buying a Ringneck from MyPamperedPets. We got our first little girl from this wonderful family home, and she is an absolute perfect addition to our Brat-Pack.

My first (and most darling) IRN Indy and I were starting to have serious disagreements every breeding season. I decided I had to do something about his mood swings, and finally get him a girlfriend. So I thought I might go about it a little differently, and let 'fate' decide for us.

I placed a "Personals Ad" for Indy on Gumtree, stating our situation, and that we were in desperate need for a little miss addition. I received many an email back from the general public offering up their female IRNs. However, none of them seemed right, until the lovely lady at mypamperedpets contacted me.
She took the time to send me a proper email, with photos attached, of her three little girls left over from last breeding season. The welcoming warmth of the email and the care emitting from it, made me want to find out more about these little misses.

I went onto mypamperedpets YouTube channel, and found the gorgeous video of whom I now know as Gracie's Mother and Father.

I fell in love instantly, and knew we had to have one of the little girls on offer. We have not looked back since, and I have never, nor will I ever, regret getting this little sweetie. With her intellegence, strong-mindedness, affection, inquisitiveness, and actually showing care towards me and my darling Indy, she proves all the signs of a caring, warm environment that she was raised in.

Mypamperpets is the perfect choice for those who are looking for the perfect pet Indian Ringeck :)