Luna says time for a splash of color!

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

WickedOne

Luna says time for a splash of color!

Post by WickedOne »

I knew Luna was silly, but today I found out just how silly and I couldn't stop laughing.
This morning as I was leaving for work, Luna decided to try to take a bath in her water dish. So I picked up the spray bottle and gave her a quick shower, which seemed to satisfy her and she started to preen herself before I left for work.
I come home to find her dunking her foot toy in the water, which promptly turned the water a light purple. She then decided to take a bath, and voila! Purple stripe down her chest.
She thought she needed a bit more color to go with the turquoise sheen of her lovely white feathers.
She's such a goofball. Love her to pieces.
evaleen

Re: Luna says time for a splash of color!

Post by evaleen »

aawwww!

i gess she wantd a makeover! lol! :lol:
Eva
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

Yep. The stripe is still there but it is fading. At least it looks good on her. *shrug*
But we're getting closer to her learning to take a bath in the sink. Step one, her water dish. Step two, a shallow bowl.
Progress is good!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Have you thought about trying her in the shower with you? My two love it! Although it took slow introductions before they learned to love it.

Elle.
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

ellieelectrons wrote:Have you thought about trying her in the shower with you? My two love it! Although it took slow introductions before they learned to love it.

Elle.
I have given it some thought. I'm warming her up to it. Right now she likes a spray bottle shower and she takes a dunk in her water dish. I'm hoping to go from that to a bowl then to the sink, then shower. How did you do it? Tips would be awesome! :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Firstly, I had a perch for them that doesn't get wet even when the shower is running & I got them used to sitting on that without the shower running. I would take them in there & sit them on th perch for a few minutes each day so they could get used to the new environment. When they were comfortable then I would try starting the shower with them in there & see how they handle it. When they were comfortable with the shower running I would get them to sit on my hand whilst we are in the shower. Charlie likes to Stand under the shower jets but Janey likes to get wet from the spray. So I stand with my arms out, palms facing upward & the palms are under the shower jets. Janey will tend to sit somewhere on my forearm to get wet from the spray bouncing off my palms & Charlie will hang out closer to my wrist and put parts of his body under the jets. I rotate them between being on my arm & their shower perch. I hope that makes sense.

Ellie
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try. Are your birds clipped or do they fly?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mine are clipped. I guess it might take longe with a flighted bird?

Ellie.
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

My birds are all clipped as well.
ciqala20

Post by ciqala20 »

how would you suggest introducing a bird to a shower when she is afraid of a spray bottle(on gentle mist)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My Janey is also scared of the spray bottle but Charlie loves it.

Find a place in the shower where your bird can perch without getting wet and practice taking her in there, sitting her there for a little while and then taking her out. Don't turn the shower on. Get her used to hopping on and off your hand to and from the perch. When you think she's ready, turn the shower taps gradually on and get her used to the sounds, etc. Try getting her to step up while the shower is going. If she doesn't want to, just leave her there. Take her closer to the water, if she ever looks uncomfortable put her back. With my two, they sit on my forearm and I put my hands (palms up) under the shower jets at my waist level. Janey will stay on the forearm and get wet from the spray whereas Charlie will venture closer to the jets and stick his whole body under them. I think perhaps Janey is scared of the jets because when she was young and scared them, I forced her underneath them a couple of times (not my finest moment!).

Good luck. With both my guys it took a while to get them used to it... but now they love it. It's always their choice as to whether they want to get wet or not. Some days Janey will come in and just sit on the perch and not get wet at all.

Ellie.
ciqala20

Post by ciqala20 »

its hard to introduced Ciqala to new things. she is 11 and I've only had her for a few months. I'm supposed to be babysitting until her owner can come back for her( i kind of hope she won't take her back I'm so in love). i was told that the first home she was in she was abused idk in what way and then i think she ended up in a pet store where my friend got her when she was five. she had her for almost 7 yrs and said she was making real progress with her but when i got her she seemed kind of nervous....i know thats just bc of the new environment and new people and animals. the reason she is afraid of the spray bottle is bc my friend and her husband used to spray her with a reptile spray bottle that could spray long distances when she made a lot of noise.

almost as soon as i got her she would step on my hand but doesn't seem to understand or maybe doesn't care about step up. at first she wouldnt let me go anywhere near her head but now she is crazy for tickles. she doesn't talk but makes sounds that sounds like tickle tickle and hello. I've got her used to taking a bath in a large bowl but maybe if i still have her when it gets warm i will try introducing her to the shower its too cold right now.

do you think she could still learn to talk??
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi

It's a hard one. I don't have any experience with older birds. Mine are 2 & 3 years old. I would imagine that with time, persistence & patience you can improve your relationship and the things that she will do but I don't know how far you can expect to get. I think you just need to keep building the trust (as you are doing) and as you build the trust, you will be able to get her to do more things.

On the talking, I hope someone else can answer that. Our male definitely talks more than our female but our female says a few words too.

She sounds like a cutie! Best wishes.

Ellie.