rose ringed parrot mutations in wild

Moderator: Mods

Sherjil

rose ringed parrot mutations in wild

Post by Sherjil »

Hi group members

Has anybody came across any mutation in wild caught ringneck parrots ?

I read in an article that dark green & pied mutants occasionally occur in the wild!

Sherjil
Molossus2

Re: rose ringed parrot mutations in wild

Post by Molossus2 »

Mutations in birds are spontaneous occurrences. Although this takes place naturally there is a similarity in the mutation type within species of birds. A good example of this is the mutations that occur in ring necks compared to the budgie. Most of these occur in the wild and these are then captured and bred en masse. If I am lucky maybe a melanistic alexandrine will occur in my aviaries. :mrgreen:
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Thanks Molossus2 for your reply .... I was looking for references / experiences ... I have read that mutations occur in the wild like you said but never had I came across one such wild caught bird (I live in Pak the homeland of rose ringed parrots).... like you said a mutant wild caught alexandrine is a dream come true for any bird lover ;)
c0keguy

Post by c0keguy »

I do not know where you live in Pakistan but if you happen to go to your local pet market you will see a lot of Pied Indian ring necks captured on regular basis .. Some one in Karachi actually picked out a Turquoise blue mutation of Alexandrine parrot and that was actually from the wild caught stock ..
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Damn. Now that turquoise Alex must work it's way to me. I am trying to trace one supposedly bred in Australia . No lucks far. :mrgreen:
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Thanks fr your replies c0keguy & Molossus2 .... I live in Faisalabad, don't go to the pet market often but probably I can find one if I am lucky :)

c0keguy do you know in which time of year wild caught ringnecks are captured and brought to the market ?