Hen not sitting on eggs

Moderator: Mods

tweet

Hen not sitting on eggs

Post by tweet »

Hi everyone, my pair of IRN just laid their first clutch of eggs mid September. The hen has always been in the nesting box but just two days ago she hasnt been laying on her eggs. She slept outside the box with the male and never returned to her nest. I checked this morning and there are three unhatched eggs. Is there a problem? Is there anything i can do? and if i take the eggs out will they try to reproduce again?

I believe my IRN are new to breeding. Not too sure how old they are. My guess is about 2-3 years?

Thanks in advance.
Molossus2

Re: Hen not sitting on eggs

Post by Molossus2 »

The following can be probable reasons.
1. This is her first time and she is going thru a learning curve. They normally get it right after this.
2. This is her first season with you and she needs to settle down. Give her time to know your habits.
3. Something disturbed her and she abandoned the nest. Are there cats/dogs thereof did anyone disturb her?
Observation of the birds temperament and behavior is key to how you need to approach her.
If you cover your bases and she continues then she could be an habitual nest deserter. You may need to foster her eggs if this is the case.
Hope this helps.