Indian Ringneck Biting on its cage

Moderator: Mods

Roro1988

Indian Ringneck Biting on its cage

Post by Roro1988 »

Hi...I have an indian ringneck which is 1 year old now. I love him very much and i spend a minimum of 15 minutes with him everyday. Roro doesn't like to be pet too much but still he steps up on my finger fine with no problem. But lately i am having some biting problems with him...He steps up fine but randomly bites my finger!!! Why is that??...Is this part of bluffing?.......And whenever i try to hand feed him he pins his eyes at me as if he doesn't want me to give him anything......But the true problem is that lately, from the second i let it off my finger and put it on its cage, he's transformed into a real monster, no way to make him step up again. If i try to make him step up i receive very painful bites. The only way is that i have to bring a pencil and let him play with it while i take him off the cage....What can be the problem to this??? What can i do to stop this ??? And yea one more thing is that when i put him on his cage he starts biting his own leg!!!

HELP PLEASE.......

P.S. Roro never sleeps in its cage...he always sleeps onto it. In fact its me who gave him the manner of sleeping onto the cage...is this good or not??
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Indian Ringneck Biting on its cage

Post by ringneck »

Hey Roro1988,

Sounds like you got a problem, huh? This phase will pass. I must say it is wonderful that you are distracting him with a pencil—very good technique. The overall goal should be to ignore this behavior and break this pattern. That means avoid telling him “No” when be bites. Simply don’t acknowledge this behavior. Believe me your ringneck will become that lovable pet again. It is important you continue holding your bird as you normally do as you don’t want him to believe biting is an effective route of communication to control you. If he should bite, simply distract him and pick him up again. Avoid keeping him near your face as I don’t want you get a facial bite.
Also, you might want to have a favorite treat on hand before you take him out. Rather than force him to step up make it worth his while. Show him the treat and I am almost positive he’ll step onto your finger to get it. Continue this positive reinforcement exercise daily. Most importantly, keep your confidence as these birds are smart—they know when we feel intimated.

Also about sleeping on the cage. That’s totally up to you. I honestly believe it is better the bird come and go from its cage only through you. This makes the ringneck much more dependent upon you—as well as keeping the wings clipped.

Hope this helps my friend! Please keep us updated!

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

ringneck wrote: I must say it is wonderful that you are distracting him with a pencil—very good technique.
Yes, I thought that was very clever too.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I agree ellieelectrons. I tend to think of interaction with my ringnecks in patterns. If we can continue to keep the pattern bite free, then theoretically the bird should stop the biting. If biting should continue, the key is just breaking the pattern until the bird no longer use it as a means of communication. :D

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
Roro1988

Post by Roro1988 »

Thank you very much guys i really appreciate your concern. :) ...I got the idea of the pencil because each time i do my homework he takes the pencil from my hand and run away :lol: ... Today roro stepped up on my finger from its cage with no biting :D !!
Anyway how does a bluffing normally last??.....N yea, concernig my first post...what does it mean when i put him on its cage he bites his own hand..is this normal??...How can i make him get used to human a bit more?....cz he's only at ease with me and some of my friends bt no one at home except me !!....This may seem ridiculous to you but he seems to be afraid of girls :roll: ....
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Roro,

Some IRN's seem to prefer either male or female humans so it's not that ridiculous that he seems afraid of girls.
Roro1988

Post by Roro1988 »

Ok...i guess so...But is there any way i can get him used to girls or it all depends on him??
Roro1988

Post by Roro1988 »

Hi i have another question here...my bird roro is bluffing for more than 5 month now...is it going to last a long time???...roro gives very painful bites when it is on it's cage but as soon as i take him off he is fine. But he also doesn't like me to pet him....He stays on my shoulder ok but as soon as i put him on the table he runs to the opposite side and starts to play...Is this normal??? Have i done something wrong to him???...The thing that shocked me is that my cousin recently came to my place for a few days and roro does not seem to go away from him. And also he lets my cousin take him off the cage!!!! How is that???...When I take him off the cage i receive very painful bites :(((...Am confused!! Roro lets me pet him but rarely....Mostly when he's tired...I would appreciate any help please.
Erik.R.25

Post by Erik.R.25 »

I have same problem with my 4 months old male baby he let's me pet him only when he's tired and when he's not he's ignoring me like I'm not even speaking to him and when I try to get closer he bits like crazy I just can't tame him and because of that I sometimes feel like giving up and sometimes I think about giving him away because I'm getting depressed over it i think he hates me for some reason or that I'm doing something wrong but my heart won't let me give him away I got him 4 weeks ago I love him so much he also hate being in the cage and when I put him in the cage he's biting everything around and because he chews on he's cage he's beak is scratched please help me
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Parrots chew, they chew holes in tree trunks to build their nest, they chew to stop their beaks from over growing. Give him something safe to chew on, a mineral block, a cuttle bone, a chewable toy. Pencils are never a good idea, they contain graphite (black lead), it's toxic. Give him foraging toys, or make his foods forageable. And if he pins his eyes and looks menacing, stop whatever it is you're doing that annoys him.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

4 months old is still very young for a parrot that will live 40 years, try and slow down your inter reaction with him, let him come to you, sit by his cage when you eat your meals. Parrots are very sociable creatures, Erik you have a responsibility to see this through, What if he gave up on you? No keep on working with him it will get better, read as many of the posts on our site that you can other people have been through what you experiencing and have very happy relationships with their birds.