Tender Loving Care

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

fladder

Tender Loving Care

Post by fladder »

It's amazing what three weeks of love will do to a bird. Mielieboy has gone from a grumpy bird who doesn't tolerate anyone to a wonderful loving bird! He sits on my hand for hours on end, and absolutely loves getting kisses :lol:
I can't believe it, I'm so happy! :D
He's playful, loving and very energetic, he's up and down, but pauses every now and then for a kiss.
The amount of character in this tiny little bird is amazing, I can't wait for him to start talking! At what age does this usually happen?
Blueberrybird

Re: Tender Loving Care

Post by Blueberrybird »

Aww! That's great news :) :)
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'm not sure when he'll begin talking...it seems like it depends largely on the individual bird's talent and inclination to talk. I have 4 adult IRN's and only 1 speaks clearly while his sister in the cage right next to him only mimics whistles...oh, and I forgot about the female budgie that barks like a dog and meows like a cat.
julie

Post by julie »

Thats great news :D I have a 1yr old that now talks in front of us,before that he/she would talk when he thought we werent there. We must talk a lot in my house because all mine start early and the youngens started mumbling from around 4 months.I talk to mine like I talk to people and say the same thing to start. when I walk in I say hello and after a while hey my boys, when other people come in the boys say hello to them,it spins some people out.
fladder

Post by fladder »

Awesome! He says something that might be the Afrikaans word for yes, but I'm not sure. He mimics alot of sounds, and loves trying to impress me with weird sounds :roll: Right now he's sitting on the top of the window, so he shouts for me to come and get him cause he doesn't know how to get down.
mgeorge

Post by mgeorge »

That really is great news. But there are still those who still could not find their niche even after extended times of being under tender care.

I have adopted mine and it took me about 2 months to get him to keep up with me. He was so grumpy that he would stay up al night with all this noisy sound until when he probably grew tired of bringing that to himself as well.

Good for you, it did not take that long.
fladder

Post by fladder »

I've had Mielie for about two months now, and he is even cuter! I love my bird to bits :!:
He's started mumbling, but I can't quite make out what he says :)
I got him a new cage the other day, and he is ten time happier. He's so spiolt :lol: With all the love and attention he's getting, it's hard for him to be bored or grumpy.
Tonight is the first time that he's comfortable in the new cage, so I am really relieved.

Anyway, thats it for me
Anri :wink:
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

congrats on your friend! :mrgreen:
(and congrats to the lucky guy for the new cage!)
the part where they mumble is SO cute! :D i love hearing my budgies trying to learn a new word!
(like all the hours and hours of repetitions are finally paying off! lol) :lol:
Eva
fladder

Post by fladder »

Mielie said good morning to me this morning when I opened his cage :D I'm so happy!
He also started saying halo last night. This all happened while he was still really sleepy :lol: I had to take him out of his cage early this morning, because they were doing construction work in the room he stays. He was so sleepy he could barely keep his eyes open, so when I said good morning I got a reply :)
He also mumbles allot when he sits in the sun. We call him Mr Mellow when he's in the sun, cause nothing seems to bother him then :lol:

Cheers
Anri
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

(kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii) that is so adorable!
the mumbles are cute in itself, but mumbling while he's sleepy???!!!!
aaaaaaaaaaa!
IRRESISTIBLE!!!! you'v just GOTTA do some spy work and post a video! at least for me!
preeetttty plzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Eva
fladder

Post by fladder »

I will definitely try getting a video, he seems to perk up if he sees the video camera :lol: A real little actor! I only have a video of him dancing in front of a full length mirror. That's also quite funny :lol:
How do you post a video on here?
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

u could upload the video on utube and then posting the link!
(dancing infront of the mirror??? kawaiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!)
(my birds shut right up when they see the camera. and my myna starts screaming "dont shoot me dont shoot meeeeeeeeee!" and when i put the camera down, she says "this'l b my laaaaast waaaarrrning!" )
(although she dose say that every time...) :roll:

my mynah NEVER lets me get her on camera, and my budgie comes right up and sits on the lens. so all i can get is the tail.
aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh! :x

lucky u to have a oscar nominee...! :wink:
Eva
fladder

Post by fladder »

He is quite the superstar!
He's very mad at me today, cause a friend of my dad picked up a wild baby bird (cape glass eye) and bought it to me, because I have raised a lot of wild birds :lol: It's very little and requires all my attention, so my ringneck is feeling very lost :wink:
I'll be sure to upload that video on Youtube:) Maybe one of him and the baby as well.
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

(nodding vigorously)
yes! plz do!

(and the baby sounds TOO cute! its funny how jealous IRNs can b!) :lol:
Eva
julie

Post by julie »

please dont put the wild baby bird near him it may have diseases,mites ect that will make him very sick.
fladder

Post by fladder »

Unfortunately the baby died this morning. I'm phoning the vet in a bit to see if our to parrots are in any danger.
We found her dead in her cage, so we don't know if it was a disease or trauma from falling out of the nest. Maybe even dehydration or something.......
Mielieboy and my dad's parrot(piesang) seems fine, but just to be save I'm keeping Mielieboy away from Piesang, because Mielie was in the same room as the bird. I don't want anything to happen to Piesang if something is wrong with my baby :?
fladder

Post by fladder »

Mielieboy is fine! Thank Goodness :D I talked to my vet and he think that as long as they weren't sharing a cage or food or anything like that he'll be fine.
He also recommended that i watch Mielieboy for any sign of respiratory trouble, but otherwise he should be fine. He is pretty confident that if the baby wasn't showing sneezing or coughing, then Mielieboy would be fine.
I'm so relieved, but I'm still keeping a close eye on Mielieboy! The first sign that Mielieboy is getting sick and I'll take him to the vet. Luckily he's only five minutes away, and even does house calls :D I'm so blessed to have such a great and caring vet! :D
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

oh thank goodness!
but sorry about the baby bird... poor thing... r.i.p
Eva
fladder

Post by fladder »

RIP little guy
I'm still working on a video, but Mielieboy changes his attitude we he sees the camera! Such a little actor :roll: Maybe I should take him to Hollywood!
Mielieboy has started talking all of a sudden, but he seems to know so much words. It's amazing! He even figured out how to call me :D It's very funny when he starts walking all over the place shouting "MOM! MOM! COME!"
I love my little baby so much! I'll work on the video and maybe a photo or two :)
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

aaawww! how cute!

i'l b looking forward to it! :mrgreen:
Eva
fladder

Post by fladder »

Ok, I took the video, but we have been having trouble with our internet connection, so Youtube will have to wait:)
I think I need to take a new one though, because Mielieboy also says "Love You" before he goes to sleep. I don't know what happened, but my bird turned into a chatterbox! :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

When my girl Janey was left in a room with my mum (who she doesn't know that well), Janey climbed to the floor and started off in the direction she'd seen me go calling "Janey, Janey" because that's how we call her, that's how she calls us too! Lol

Ellie
fladder

Post by fladder »

I haven't posted here in a while, but I thought I should share this :)
Mielieboy is Molting! (not sure about the spelling :? )
I really wasn't expecting anything, but I walked into the study this afternoon, only to find a ringneck with a very short tail, and a bald patch on his head! He looks so cute!
At first I wasn't sure, and thought something may be wrong (I know I'm a real chopper mom, always worrying!) but my mom said that my vet had picked up on it when she took him to have his wings clipped.

Anyway, along with two tail feathers he seems to have lost his bad attitude! He's turned into a sweet and gentle bird :shock: Not something I was expecting! He's always been sweet, but never like this!!
Maybe he's more mature now, seeing as he turned 1, 3 days ago :lol:

Just wanted to say hi:
Anri