FREEDOM of SPEECH or MILITARY RULE?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ShirleyBird

FREEDOM of SPEECH or MILITARY RULE?

Post by ShirleyBird »

I was really concerned by a response to a topic. I didn't quite agree with the response made. There were no language issues or threats or anything else inappropriate. Only opinions. If someone doesn't want people to respond what they feel then don't post your business online. Just because people agree on the same issue, doesn't mean they are a clique( I hardly speak to anyone and only joined not that long ago).I also believe petty was used, that also is upsetting. If that's what its called when people respond truthfully, non aggressively, then I guess I misunderstood the meaning. I'm glad I now understand how things are ran and how one should reply, with a smile and nod. Always be in agreement and never have you own opinion, if its in disagreement. I do apologize for having my own views and will be sure to be a good little poster and only provide happy responses ....even if they're lies. I am no troublemaker, by no means, just someone who loves their animals and values their companionship, unfortunately I guess I was unaware that others don't share the same views and believe they are just items to be traded in or sold...Once is unfortunate, Twice is confusing, more than that is mind blowing!
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg
Maniiacy

Re: FREEDOM of SPEECH or MILITARY RULE?

Post by Maniiacy »

I just read the thread you were talking about. Honestly, the best thing you can do is drop it, or, if it really bothered you so much, talk to --and -- privately about what happened, and try to come to an understanding. There really is no need to drag things on further, and further humiliate someone.

Sorry for probably offending you.
Last edited by Maniiacy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="Maniiacy"]I just read the thread you were talking about. Honestly, the best thing you can do is drop it, or, if it really bothered you so much, talk to IndianRingneck and Cody's Mom privately about what happened, and try to come to an understanding. There really is no need to drag things on further, and further humiliate someone.

Sorry for probably offending you.[/quote]

Lol. Thank you for YOUR opinion...I however did not use any names....so hummmm, what was YOUR intentions? I only posted 1 remark, so I don't believe I have an " issue" with anyone. I have no desire to speak with anyone " privately " due to the fact there's nothing left to say. A question was asked, I answered my opinion and that was it. No back and forth. I don't think my response was in the wrong and I was looking for others reaction to MY post. I cannot control what others post after me. I also don't know what you mean by humiliating someone, who can be humiliated? How?So thanks again for your opinion( it kind sounds like maybe you were trying to stir a burnt pot). Sorry if I offended you.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Shirley

I just re-read the thread that Imran was referring to and I don't think his comments were directed at you. It was quite a lengthy thread and you only had one post in it.

This forum was set up and is maintained by Imran and as such we are his guests so it his up to him to decide how he wishes to exercise the duty of care he feels towards his members. I for one am grateful for how he and the other moderators manage this space.

One thing I am sure of is that those who come to this forum want to do their best by their birds. Despite this, we alll come from different backgrounds and cultures so there is bound to be some conflict from time to time.

I continue to learn a lot from the people posting on this forum and I look forward to learning more in the future.

Ellie.
julie

Post by julie »

If "someone" didnt put in a complaint and say they were being picked on and woe is me then admin and mods one of which was involved in the thread :o :x :wink: wouldnt have stepped in. We dont like having to do that kind of thing and more times than not we dont have to do anything but sometimes it doesnt work like that.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

I have a horrid habit of speaking first and thinking later( I'm working on it). Lol. Its hard to distinguish whom was being reprimanded being multiple people responded. I however get over things quickly when its not worth my time and this topic is one....There is no solution so why bother discussing it..I have better things to do like train my birds, and not waste energy on hopelessness. Thanks for your reply.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="julie"]If "someone" didnt put in a complaint and say they were being picked on and woe is me then admin and mods one of which was involved in the thread :o :x :wink: wouldnt have stepped in. We dont like having to do that kind of thing and more times than not we dont have to do anything but sometimes it doesnt work like that.[/quote]

Understood. Thanks for your reply.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="Ariahna"]Shirley, I don't think we are supposed to be honest.

That worries me on any advice I might need in order to care for my birds better! I'd rather have truthfulness than politeness. Anyways to each their own. I'm over it... I can say if people don't post their business, no one can know abt it...
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Maybe we moult along with our birds lol. Seriously though your passion for the best outcome for the birds is honorable.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't see why we can't be truthful and polite. I think politeness in the written word is in some ways more important than in face to face interactions because people can't hear your tone of voice, see your body language or seek instant clarification of your meaning.

I would never want people to be untruthful in favour of politeness however I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

ellieelectrons wrote:I don't see why we can't be truthful and polite. I think politeness in the written word is in some ways more important than in face to face interactions because people can't hear your tone of voice, see your body language or seek instant clarification of your meaning.

I would never want people to be untruthful in favour of politeness however I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
Hear hear Ellie, it is exactly what i thought!!!
you cant tell the tone in which the advise is given in an email msg.

You wont have me tip toe around the truth though!..

I think if looked back at everyone has made some good points.
Its breeding season lets talk about who has what in the nest for a bit and what they are
expecting etc.
Will or wont they hand raise,
bluffing etc etc etc.

Ta Glenn
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="Blueberrybird"]Maybe we moult along with our birds lol. Seriously though your passion for the best outcome for the birds is honorable.[/quote]
Thanks for your reply and compliment.....I'm very passionate abt things that are unable to protect themselves. If we as people don't stand up for those whom can't speak, then what's the use of having a voice? I understand I can't control anyone, nor their actions, or feelings....but if we just sit by and watch quietly then we are just as guilty as the one doing the misdeeds.
Melika

Post by Melika »

ellieelectrons wrote:One thing I am sure of is that those who come to this forum want to do their best by their birds. Despite this, we alll come from different backgrounds and cultures so there is bound to be some conflict from time to time.

Ellie.
Precisely.

Who can complain about fairness on the one hand and yet infer on the other that a person does not love their birds- with little or no firsthand knowledge of what had transpired? Who says that re-homing an animal cannot be the best solution for all?

Fairness, respect, and balance. That topic lacked it, and that is why it was locked. Imran did exactly what was needed. The goal of this forum is education. I look forward, though, to reading all of your experiences and friendly advice here in the future. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Melika wrote:
ellieelectrons wrote:One thing I am sure of is that those who come to this forum want to do their best by their birds. Despite this, we alll come from different backgrounds and cultures so there is bound to be some conflict from time to time.

Ellie.
Precisely.

Who can complain about fairness on the one hand and yet infer on the other that a person does not love their birds- with little or no firsthand knowledge of what had transpired? Who says that re-homing an animal cannot be the best solution for all?

Fairness, respect, and balance. That topic lacked it, and that is why it was locked. Imran did exactly what was needed. The goal of this forum is education. I look forward, though, to reading all of your experiences and friendly advice here in the future. :)
This is exactly why it was locked. Any of us admins would have done the same had we seen it 1st. Imran was being fair to all and not singling out any one particular person. If a topic is going nowhere and we get complaints. Its the end of the topic. This issue was sorted privately.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wonderful "healthy" discussion here! I just don't want anyone to feel singled out. Every ringneck owner and person here is important to this community. As many other members said here, the tone can be difficult to hear in text. I always tell people text is like a dagger--it's how you catch [read] it that matters.

I know it may have seemed harsh but in all honesty I meant it in a good way. We have such wonderful members here that love these birds and devote a great deal of THEIR time ensuring everyone gets a response—they don’t deserve that drama. It is our culture on this forum to welcome everyone. :D

Besides, you know why we have the coolest most popular ringneck forum in the world? Because we have the coolest bunch of bird lovers on the net here--i mean come on, we have Indian Ringnecks! :lol: 8)

Best Wishes all :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

I told myself I was finished with this topic, I just have one more thing to reply to...I DON'T disagree with re-homing. In many cases that's the best solution for everyone involved. I only dislike when someone gets rid of a bird, then gets a new one, then repeats the cycle and within a short amounts of time multiple birds are cycled through. I know what I read on blogs and ads posted so I am not coming to an opinion unjustly. Everyone has the right to feel how they do....I feel as long as I'm being non confrontational I should be able to express my views...ESPECIALLY if someone asked for opinions, I didn't search anyone out or say anything that was out of line( in my eyes). Everyone has people they disagree with, whether they put focus on the issue is up to them. I know I don't loose any sleep over what strangers think of me. Ive probably rubbed people the wrong way with this conversation, if so That's unfortunate...but life goes on...thx for your view on things.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote= As many other members said here, the tone can be difficult to hear in text. I always tell people text is like a dagger--it's how you catch [read] it that matters.
I know it may have seemed harsh but in all honesty I meant it in a good way.

IMRAN-C[/quote]

Agreed! text may be misinterpreted...I did go a little far by maybe comparing to a militant. Lol. I apologize for that..I understand That you would want everyone to feel welcome...but I also feel that everyone should have access to make an informed decision on whom they communicate with...the point of the issue is its your call on who and what and how, so its really pointless to keep rambling on...I do however know who you( as in anyone)associate with does reflect on yourself, and someone who doesn't want to learn cannot be taught, and finally if someone doesn't feel they have a problem, they can't change and sometimes it does take someone from outside to put attention to it.. Hopefully no hard feelings...if you secretly hate me I understand..jk..I wouldn't.jk.. This is the end of the replies for me, I'm OVER it...I guess some can agree to disagree...
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

LOL!!! ShirleyBird! I don't hate you secretly! :lol: :lol: You're too funny! I think my problem is i love everyone..ha ha ha! :lol: :lol:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

We all have a wonderful community here, we share and discuss a common love. It's an amazing family and it will stay that way.

As in any family there are ups and downs and with this family, when there is a down there is no one iron fist judging and punishing, we have a wonderful "team" that confer and make informed decisions that will be the best outcome for the whole family. So if a post is locked or even removed know that it was done so with great care and compassion for the whole community. This team is unbiased and is made up of more than just one person. We love our family and always will, we appreciate the love, care and relationships everyone has here.

Most of the time we will let discussions go along even if they may seem to be getting a little personal and see if it settles. When a post is locked or removed it is not due to one person, it is due to the fact that it is no longer helpful or constructive, or is not longer anything to do with the topic anymore, and we are simply trying to protect, save everyones time and trying to diffuse the situation.

People can disagree, without different opinions and discussions how would we ever learn anything, but as ellie said it can be done politely and Melika is spot on (fairness, respect and balance).

We (the administration) may not all post a lot, as we have been here for years!! discussing and sharing, and now we spend a lot more time moderating, but we all watch and guard this family and step in when we see a need to.

Let me throw in a little Christian saying
"All things with Love."
xoxox
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless