Four weeks away - Wow!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Maniiacy

Four weeks away - Wow!

Post by Maniiacy »

I just returned home from a four week trip, only to see two very naked birds - there was green down and feathers all over the bottom of their cage! This is their first moult, and so far, no sign of a ring (although they are still only 9 months old). They look so abused. :P

I was worried that the time away would cause them to be upset with me, especially because they weren't getting much reaction that they enjoyed - my mom isn't their favourite person in the world. :P So far, they seem perfectly normal. :)
Maniiacy

Re: Four weeks away - Wow!

Post by Maniiacy »

No plucking, luckily. :) I felt around their feathers and there are pin feathers (I think that's what they are?) coming in. The feathers just kind-of fall out when they move, or are preening. I'm not sure if it is a hard moult for them, as this is their first one.

They were really scruffy when I got home - White down feathers sticking out everywhere, yellowish feathers sticking out, and some patchy spots. Turns out they just hadn't had a bath in the month that I was gone ;) Now they look almost normal - still a little scruffy, but I assume that is just from the moult.

Have fun on your trip. ^^
Melika

Re: Four weeks away - Wow!

Post by Melika »

My sister's Tsume ALWAYS moulted hard like that. One weekend she went out of town and I didn't know he was moulting (he started a week or two before Hane) and I went to check on him... I freaked out at first when I saw him from across the room. I thought he was sick and dying he looked so bad. But upon closer inspection, it was just moulting. :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay