Why is my bird acting like this ?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ryanallam

Why is my bird acting like this ?

Post by ryanallam »

today i stayed at home and i was sitting next to my birds cage... he does weird stuff...he just walks sideway right and left...right left...right left all the time....i tried to feed him but he doesnt seems interested ....

anyone can help plz ??
ryanallam

Re: Why is my bird acting like this ?

Post by ryanallam »

ok now it is even more weird....i give him food..he eats it while still moving sideways !!!! is he going crazy ???
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Pacing can be a sign of boredom. I'm not saying it necessarily is in the case of your bird but it certainly could be. You could try introducing more stimulation in the form of foraging (new activities), playing sounds of other birds (new sounds), allowing your bird to be in different parts of the house at different times (new visual stimulation), more out of cage time, new toys. If you try these things, watch that your bird doesn't get too scared and only introduce new things a small amount at a time. IRNs can be neophobic (scared of new things).

Best wishes.

Ellie.
mgeorge

Post by mgeorge »

I have to agree, birds keep up with boredom in a number of ways and what your bird is displaying can just be one of the number of ways they expose it.

What I do is to place them at various positions in the house so that they do not get bored by seeing the same things over and over again. And that proves to be the easiest solution as you do not have to take extra effort just to get it across.
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

umm... no offence, but,
LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

""ok now it is even more weird....i give him food..he eats it while still moving sideways !!!! is he going crazy ???""
o m G!! i couldnt stop laughing after trying to imagine that!
(sorry, sorry!)

yeah, try introducing some new toys and some more perches.
or mayb its just uncomfortable of you.( mayb cuz its not used to getting such attention from you? dunno) :|
(for example, my mustache parakeet also dose the side stepping thing. however, it then gets bored of the same perch,and starts climbing all over the cage if i stay too long near it.) :roll:
Eva