My first Parrot. Need adive and help.

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Multipaki

My first Parrot. Need adive and help.

Post by Multipaki »

I got a IRN for the shop. He is 5-6 months old and he was hand tamed. In the shop he sat on my hand for like 10 min. When i got him home he refused to do that and its been a week, when i take my hand in the cage he freaks out. He eats from my hand but he doesn't like me trying to get my hand near him. He has not been out of the cage and i don't think so that i should let him out untill he is hand trained. How can i make him trust my hand and step up on it, he eats from my hand but as i side earlier he doesn't want it near him. Please tell me what to do its been 1.5 weeks he doesn't like toy she just sits there. I have to go to school he is alone in the morning!
ryanallam

Re: My first Parrot. Need adive and help.

Post by ryanallam »

Hey Multipaki,

I guess we are all having the same issue. My bird is doing the same but i found a way to train him to sit on my finger and take him outside the cage...

Keep in mind that these birds are so scared and moody too !! but as always when there is a will there is a way...so here is what you need to do.

1 ) You need to be patient

2) These birds spend in the wild around 8 hours a day thinking how to get their food ... so once they have their food in the cage i dont see why he/she will make the effort to learn....so no food in the cage...keep only water.

3) wake up in the morning open the cage door...and feed him ....then close the cage door and go to school...when you re back in the afternoon do the same... after couple of days the bird will understand that food comes from your hand and there is nothing to be scared from your hand...remember when you approach the cage dont do any rough movements cause this will scare him...

4) after few days your bird will get comfortable with your hand in the cage what you should do is give him a seed...and raise your finger as if you re gonna caress the back of his head...but DONT ! stay away just do the move...then feed him again and do it a bit closer...remember watch the birds reaction as you do this new movement..as long as the bird is fine with it keep repeating it closer and closer...food try your move ..then food try your move...and make sure to keep your voice tone positive...for example ..GOOD BOY !!! and repeat the move.
at some point the bird will let you touch him.

once you reach this level then your bird is comfortable with your hand touching him then you can go for the next lesson wich is standing on your finger...thats the easy part.

First work on this and let me know..i will help you with the rest...

Good luck ! and remember ...patienceeeee !!!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Multipaki

My opinion is that you should not remove your bird's food from its cage. It should be able to eat during the day when you are away if it's hungry. You could consider making the food a little more difficult to find, similar to what it would be in the wild. See this thread on foraging for more information:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=11701

If you provide foraging opportunities (start simple though, if you make it too hard, he may not figure it out), then getting food from you will seem like an easier way to get food.

Using food rewards and positive reinforcement training is a good way to tame your bird but it will require patience and time.

Do you know if your bird was handraised by humans or raised by its parents? Non-handraised birds are harder to tame but you can still make progress. How old is your bird? If your bird is too young, I wouldn't bother with foraging yet..

You may find that your bird is a little freaked out by his new environment and can take some time to get used to it. If they've been used to an environment full of birds and you've brought it home to a new place, it could be really scared.

Also, look at whether there might be anything that might be causing your bird anxiety... these little guys can be extremely sensitive and the strangest things can freak them out.

I suggest you look through other threads on the board for taming techniques. Your question is a regular one and there are lots of answers already on the board.

Best wishes with your new little guy!

Ellie.
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

He is 5-6 months or smaller i'll upload pics asap i don't think i will forge just yet. What i will do is when i go in the morning i will put qfood in his tray and when i come back remove it and then feed him his super and dinner from hand! .. Forging i don't think so i get it. NOTE he already eats his treats from my hand. :/ just doesn't like my empty hand near him. and i see he is very very lazy just sits at one place the whole day occasionally comes down to get his food i made him a toy and2 diffreent perches but he still sits at the same place it kinda gets boring when i try communicating to him i read him stories etc but heck he doen't even bother moving one inch, even blinking.
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

For 5 hours i removed the try and he screamed so much that my ears started to blow i got fed up with him, i tried fedding him from my hand but he wud take it and then throw it away. In the end he won he got what he wanted his tray back :(. Need some more techniques.
SkyesMom

Post by SkyesMom »

And see how smart they are? He kept at it until "he got his way".
I got Skye when he/she was three months old. He actually picked me out of the crowd, not the other way around. Rode home on my shoulder, let me touch him, took food out of my hand, etc. We ran an in-home daycare and one of the parents who resembles me (dark hair, dark eyes, about the same build) wanted to touch him, but every time she tried and he would put out his beak, she would freak out. So, with all that negative response he got, it got to the point I couldn't come near him without him taking a nip at me. I finally told her, "Listen, you do NOT get to go near Skye. You are freaking him out." I felt horrible. I just knew this little creature hated my guts. Skye is now one year and five months, and I can touch him again. It took immeasurable amounts of time and patience, but it happened. And it will happen with you. Be gentle always. Keep a calm tone. Talk to him/her constantly. Whether you know it or not, whether or not he is acting like he's not paying attention to you, from the moment you walk into the room, he is aware of your every move. And everyone is right: food is a great motivator. :D
Keep at it, and good luck.
Dana
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

Well i sit in front of the computer when i am in the room. I'll see for 2 weeks if he doesn't trust me by then its spanking time xD thats how i trained my dog negative reinforcement and now he listens to anything i say infact remains obedient and loves me :) Btw i won't be removing his dish he screams alot.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

MutiPaki, PLEASE DO NOT HIT, SPANK, PUNISH in ANY way! This is cruel and will only make your bird scared to death of you, causing more problems. There is a reason why POSITIVE reenforcement works! I am sad for your dog that you did that. You need PATIENCE and probably some common sense. A bird is not going to automatically love you. It takes a long time to build a trusting relationship! He is still very young and does not know you, it is already scared of you so please dont scare it more by ''spanking''. Please read all the advice given. Have a some patience, give him some more toys to keep him occupied while you are at school and do not take away his food. Try placing your hand in the cage for a few minutes a couple times a day until he gets used to your hands, then you can try teaching ''step ups'' onto your hand. One step at a time. It takes alot of time to train a bird. So you need to be prepared to take this slowly and at the birds pace. Try not to get ''fed up''. If your getting ''fed up'' maybe a bird is not the right pet for you?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

At first i didn't taught that a big cage would make a difference but when a few people recommended it to me i made a new cage (i am pretty good a wielding :))

Here are the photo's in the small cage
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/dsc09741h.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/dsc09741h.jpg/
When i got the much bigger cage. It improved my relationship alot bit i made a big mistake :/ a day ago i bought a new perch for his cage since i didn't want him to go out of the cage i installed the perch with him in the cage i had to insert it trough the middle of the cage and that really scared him. Now after that the guy recommended me to remove his tray, he got more mad and now doesn't even want me near him :( as for the negative reinforcement i was joking.
He is also screeching alot he never screeched this much its not food problem everything is the same.
I did my research but doing research is one thing implementing is hard especially these days when i have fast in the month of ramdan. The poor thing has to wake up in 3:30 in the morning with me :/ and then i leave for school when i come back i spend around 10 min with him and then have to go for prayer.
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9860/dsc09749l.jpg
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

I want mr bob to go out of the cage but last time i did that he hid under the bad, :/
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

He is on my bed i don't have a stand for him, I sleep somewhere else these days because my grand mother is sick and i need to sleep with her. Its been 1 week in this cage and i think he got the hang of it. i could try covering the cage with a blanket but i think he'll just have a change in routine. I wanted to keep him in a corner but my old stand broke so i had to put him on the ground. My frineds told me to never put cages on the ground so the highest point in my room supporting such a big cage was my bed. I will get a stand but not this month. I don't have any time literally. Besides since its a religious month shops are closed. He ate from my hand again today. I don't give him specific treats every day a different fruit comes to my house so everyday he gets a different fruit other wise i give a feed which i bought from the market. I think the problem here is about trust he needs to realize that i won't hurt him so i will take it slow from now each day i plan to calmly go to him and talk to him feed him treats 3 time a day after a week or so i will let him out exactly on next Tuesday. I read your blog and your story seems quite like mine :) i was amazed how much your parrot was enjoying your bath so i plan the put a big bowl of water in his cage :). He mostly see's me but when i am away i have told my house keeper to feed him fro his hand (he is also very found of birds xD) i learned that the stuff on net doesn't necessary mean it will apply to your parrot every parrot is different so needs to be treated differently. They are no clicker where i live so training will be hard. I am open to suggestions and i hope you will help me.. seeesh i write so much, sorry btw the biggest thing which freaks him out id my 3 year old sister, she can't get enough of him she comes near his cage then starts shouting with excitment and joy i made her feed him from her hand and now she always wants to do i even when he is not in the mood. I can't do anything about my baby sister i can't lock her away so he also needs to ignore her,
Multipaki

Post by Multipaki »

Guys he is still so unresponsive he doesn't bite me ever he just gets scare from my had. I feed him as much as i can from my hand but still.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Multipaki there has been some wonderful advice given. You have to remember my friend it takes weeks or months to build and develop the relationship between you and your bird. Continue interacting with your parrot, feeding him, and giving him lots of love. :wink: I promise, he'll respond to you :D

I am going to lock this topic as i believe it can't be developed any further :wink: .

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C