Help with aviary plans

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

Help with aviary plans

Post by rosemaryalice »

I am currently planning some aviaries for my ringnecks. They will be on the screen porch and are under a roof. They will be 6 feet long by 6 feet high and 3 feet deep. I would like to build the sides and top and bottom half of the back of a heavy untreated plywood and the front and top half of the back of wire. That way in the winter I could cover the wire areas with plastic sheeting and they would have a small heat source to go to to keep warm enough. We do get some snow in the winter. I am curious to know if the wood has no exposed edges could they chew on it or would it have to have wire over it. They will have tree branches and lots of things to chew on. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would appreciate any help.
rod038

Re: Help with aviary plans

Post by rod038 »

I think it would be best for to use Gal Sheets instead of timber sheeting. There is always the risk they will chew it and may even chew all the way through and escape. If they are sheltered from the wind they will be fine. I use 25 x 25 SHS for the frame, Flat Gal Sheeting for roof and sides, Wire for front and back and floor. My cages are suspendeds which are alot easier to keep clean. We get some snow and lots of frosts where I live.
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

Has anyone out there used thick plywood sheeting either covered with wire or not? My birds flights are in a large screen porch. I was thinking if there are no edges exposed to start chewing they couldn't chew on the flat wood for the shelter part. I know the galvanized sheeting would eliminate this but I want to explore all options.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I have had Budgerigars chew there way out of wooden breeding cages that have had no previous holes or starting points.

Try this Web Site. http://ringneckmutations.com/Housing.aspx The guys name is Mark Jones and he is an Indian Ringneck Breeder in the UK. He uses timber cages to breed his birds in. I would ask him his thoughts. He has a contact email on the web site.