Update on Turkey.....just after 2 week vacation

Moderator: Mods

adreane

Update on Turkey.....just after 2 week vacation

Post by adreane »

Ok so I came back from 2 week vacation on Friday and had some good friends taking care of Turkey and my cat Leo. I was so anxious to see how Turkey did when I was gone. :? When I walked in the door and turned the corner where the bird cage was all I could see was loose feathers on the floor and I thought oh my gosh she has been plucking her feathers. :shock: :( I was on the phone at the time and I hung up on whoever I was talking to and quickly opened the feather filled cage to see a pathetic looking bird jump on my finger. The feathers looked so rough on her head and neck but as I looked closer at the patchy areas on her head I noticed she was covered with pin feathers. :D My lil girl is growing up and started her first moult! She was so excited to see me and was doing her cute little happy squeaks. I spent the next couple days giving her extra love and head scratches and she enjoyed every minute of it!

Azure

Re: Update on Turkey.....just after 2 week vacation

Post by Azure »

She is beautiful even in moult! :D looks like she was well cared for!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
adreane

Post by adreane »

Thanks both of you! She is such a sweetie and has been letting me work on her pin feathers. I bet it gives her some relief. I have been giving her a daily warm mist too and she loves it. She has been getting a little cranky and nippy in the evenings when its starting to get dark. I don't know if thats because of the molt or maybe she is bluffing.....she has also been sort of attacking herself in the mirror too... :lol: .....that has to be bluffing...how special.. :roll: ..its so funny. She has nipped me a couple times too.....not enough to bleed but harder then normal. I just act normal and she snaps out of it really quick...hahaha. I'm not completely sure on her age. I was told a month ago that she was 3 months old but I think right now she may be between 4 and 5 months old. :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

She looks so glad to have her mummy back home, especially in the third pic...priceless.

I feel so sorry for birds when they are moulting, must be so uncomfortable to go through.
DeeDeeLutino

Post by DeeDeeLutino »

I am so happy she remembers you, I know i will have to take trips of a few weeks in the future and i wonder if my irn will hate me when i come back.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, holidays are stressful times for bird owners.... My hubby and I are currently away from home and will be picking our 2 up from their "grandparents" on Thursday. This is the longest we've ever been away from them (2 weeks). I'd be interested in other people's opinion on this but I think they adjust better when they are able to stay in their normal environment. Unfortunately we haven't been able to do that for our guys very often as we don't have a house-sitter. For the first time though, we hired a trailer so we could take their normal big cage to the "grandparents" house... normally we have a smaller holiday cage for them. I will be interested to see if they have been easier to work with and better adjusted in their normal cage.

I sometimes feel that birds need "godparents"... those who will care for them almost as much as you do and will take a special interest in them.... I keep thinking about this for my guys... but I don't really know anyone who fits the bill perfectly.

Ellie.