Help new IRN owner :-)

Moderator: Mods

Mutley

Help new IRN owner :-)

Post by Mutley »

I purchased a green IRN today and am not sure of its sex is there anyway I am able to find out now? I was informed it was born August last year. I am also wondering what is the best way for me to tame it if I can at 11 months of age. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you
Kylie
Jay2011

Re: Help new IRN owner :-)

Post by Jay2011 »

Hi, the best way to tell its sex is to DNA sex it your avian vet should be able to do this for a small fee.

Taming this can take some time to do and is all about patience first start by finding out what treat your IRN most likes mine loves a grape when you find this out remove this treat from the cage to use it as what I call "special treat" everyday sit near the cage talking to your IRN for a few days then get the treat and slowly go in the cage if the bird does not come to you after around 15 minutes leave the cage and try again later... keep doing this step this will build up the birds trust in you eventually the bird should start coming closer to you let him do the work and come to you he will take the treat some day when he does keep doing it around 3 times a day and after about 4 days repeat the step again and push your finger under his chest saying "step up" he should step up or may run away if he does he does not have enough trust yet to step onto your finger also he may give you a little nip this is only making sure your finger is solid enough for him to step onto.

it does take time and patience your bird is still young so can still learn new. Take into mind during the taming process you my get a few bites from him the worst thing to do it shout, scream or pull away ino its sounds hard but if u do any of these the bird will then know it can't trust you and therefore wont trust you.

good luck
mikeb

Re: Help new IRN owner :-)

Post by mikeb »

go to www.avianbiotech.com they will send you a kit for free and it will cost around $20 to have it done depending on what test you do (blood or feathers) it's very easy to do it yourself and no need for a vet visit