Advice needed: My IRN's beak seems to be peeling

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

NatalieM

Advice needed: My IRN's beak seems to be peeling

Post by NatalieM »

Hi there

Can someone please give me some advice. I have an six month old IRN, and recently his beak started to peel on the tip and and the sides of the beak. There seems to be a brighter colour underneath, but I am not sure if this is normal. He eats seeds as well as some fruit, vegs and a little bit of meat from time to time. Is this part of development, or is there a problem?

I have added vitamin drops to his water but that does not seem to help. He has gotten wooden toys but he doesn't chew it often. He also plucked some of his tail feathers out. Otherwise he seems fine.

Also, I have read that it takes up to two and a half years before you can tell the sex of a IRN. My IRN (green) is already showing a greyish ring around its neck. It also does these cute poses and dances, then regurgitates then tries to feed it to your mouth or toes. Does this mean it might possibly be a male, or is this normal for males and females?

Please advise
Azure

Re: Advice needed: My IRN's beak seems to be peeling

Post by Azure »

sounds like a he, ill be calling it a he
the peeling should be not a serious problem- if you look at pictures of older ringnecks, their beaks are often layered- suggesting that layers peel off. so i dont think its a problem but dont quote me- i may be wrong!

pucking his own feathers isnt good, try to stop him from doing that- do you really want a tail-less ringneck?

your last question its behaviour (i think) for both to show affection before and during breeding season (can also be throughout the year) BUT is more common in males as during breeding, the male regurgitates to feed the female... also he is trying to court your hand, i dont think its recommended as he is trying to mate... it would only be a dissappointment to him and kinda disgusting ...

thats all i can say...hope it helped a bit before the experts get on it :D
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
NatalieM

Post by NatalieM »

Thanks, that puts me to ease.

They try to mate at the age of six months already? Amazing. I'll wait another six months or so and then get him a little mate. Thanks for your help :P
Azure

Post by Azure »

i maybe wrong... but it shouldn't be!

sexual maturity is around 18 months? (i think...) also if your thinking about a partner for him you better be warned that they may seriously regect and in extreme cases kill... but dont be discouraged it wont usually happen! just highlighting warnings that others have mentioned before
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet