First vet visit

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

xx_sheena_xx

First vet visit

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

For the last two weeks my birds were sneezing a couple of times a day and i just thought they had dust up there nose but yesterday Roxy (eclectus) kept sneezing, yawned a lot and has a little bit of mucus come out of her nose. I made a appointment with out local vet.
I dont have an avian vet close to me at all, the nearest is in melbourne which is a 5 hour drive from where i live. After the vet asked what was wrong and had a good look at Roxy, which she didnt enjoy she actually bit the vet, the said she has a type of respritry disease and that all my birds have it because they come in contact with each other and have the same symptoms. They should be all better in less than 10 days with the antibiotics they have, if not they will need swabs taken to see what else is wrong.
The vet also told me if i didnt notice in less than three months they could all be dead!
This shows how much attention you need to pay to your birds health to make sure they are not ill
Ring Neck

Re: First vet visit

Post by Ring Neck »

Sorry to hear about the illness, it must be scary for you and your birds. Respiratory disease is a serious problem in birds and that is good that you are treating the problem, good luck with your birds and I hope it clears up soon.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

thanks
they already seem to be a little bit better :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Bit scary, huh?

Birds (and animals) are great at hiding any illness and problems, really have to know your birds personalities and quirks to detect early problems. Lucky you were able to catch it in time and have Roxy, and the others, on the mend. :D