Went to a bird show today.....

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

chris&julie

Went to a bird show today.....

Post by chris&julie »

We went to a bird show today and there was hardly any ringnecks , in fact there were 8 in total , the rest were small aviary birds . We have seen every colour of bird you can imagine and what bargains to be had . Toys half price , cages at cost price (like the price you would pay for a good second hand one) , brilliant . There is another one later on in the year for parrots , maybe our birds might get a look in there !
This bird keeping lark is addictive ! I wanted to bring them all home with me !

Chris and Julie :P
pinkdevil

Re: Went to a bird show today.....

Post by pinkdevil »

hahahahaha....yes, so many birds yet so little space (and $$$) to keep them.
Which bird show did you go to?
chris&julie

Post by chris&julie »

Hi
We went to the Stafford Bird show UK . WOW
Its on again later on in the year and also a Parrot one in October I think .
There was money passing hands left , right and centre !

Today I have been out shopping to buy some bits to make my birds some toys , going to copy a few things I saw , mainly preening and shredding toys . Going to have a go at sprouting some seeds , the more you look into this "hobby" the more new things you find out . I didnt realise that seeds are more nutritious for the birds once they have sprouted , more nutrients are released. Do you give your birds calcium supplement ? I used to mix linseed oil or cod liver oil with the seed for my little aviary birds , can I do it with IRN's ?

There is so much to learn to have healthy happy birds , we're loving it though .

Chris and Julie
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My guys LOVE sprouted seed.
I do not give my birds too many extra additives in their diet except coming into/during breeding and moulting seasons.
I give my birds a range of fruit, veg, seed, sprouted seed and pellets, along with cuttle bones to chew, (although my vet said birds get very little calcium from cuttle bones, more like a 'chew toy' for them :) ).
Coming into breeding season I sometimes give my birds a product called 'breeding aid' by vetafarm and change pellets from 'maintenence' to 'breeding' and during the moult I give 'moulting aid'.
I feel with a wide varied diet, they should be getting most of their needs fulfilled. :)