taming is going backwards

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

chris&julie

taming is going backwards

Post by chris&julie »

We had a week off work so we thought we would concentrate on taming the birds . We spent time with each of them (there's 2 of them ) and they were coming along great . Charlie was actually hopping onto Chris's finger willingly and we thought we were well on the way to cracking it . Perdy was a bit more flighty but would get up on your finger . We were at the stroking and tickling stage with Charlie by the end of the week , Perdy was getting up your finger but that was about it . They would quite happily come for walk with us on our shoulder and even preen my hair . BUT NOW...............we're back at work and every day they seem to be reverting back to their old selves . They wont come near us to get them down off their cage to put them on their stand , its a battle every day ............its a real shame . We wont give up but are struggling , any ideas ????

Julie and Chris :cry:
pinkdevil

Re: taming is going backwards

Post by pinkdevil »

I am guessing you guys are using treats with the birds to encourage them to you?
This is what I use and being the piggys that they are, cannot resist a tasty morsel even when they are not interested in interacting with me. I also tend to ignore them and 'play' with their toys or something they are interested in, they soon decide to get off from where they are and have a look at what I have!! :lol:

Not sure where you are located, but are they going through a moult? I find they tend to become a little less like socializing when moulting.

Otherwise I think maybe if you could spend more time with them when you are home, if that is possible. Like when watching tv, on puter etc.

Good luck.
chris&julie

Post by chris&julie »

Hi , we do use treats and Charlie takes it and throws it away , Perdy hangs upside down on her perch if you go anywhere near her . Funny but frustrating when we know how good they were when we were off work . They aren't moulting , we are in the cold cold UK and they need their feathers . We come home , have our tea and then they have our attention . They are so gentle with us , no biting . They listen to us when we talk to them . We thought about not giving them any food in the hope they would be hungry and take the treats , what do you think ?

Julie and Chris
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

You could try to increase foraging opportunities. There are othe threads on this topic.

Ellie.